Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL International in Rome?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castle Dweller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: TEFL International in Rome? Reply with quote

Has anyone attended the 4-week course run by TEFL International in Rome? I've come across some positive comments on the TEFL International school in Phuket, and I was wondering how the Rome version measures up. Further to that, has anyone participated in the internship program that TEFL International is advertising at their language school in Orvieto? I'm interested in pursuing this program as it supposedly offers the four-week course followed by a two-month internship, which I thought would be an excellent opportunity to put some teaching experience on my resume before looking for a more long-term position - plus a great excuse to spend three months in Italy! Any thoughts? How is TEFL International's reputation generally? As I said, so far I've heard some good things, but I don't know how widely that applies. Does anyone have any perspective on TEFL International vs., say, Via Lingua? Thanks!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen good candidates from both schools. The problem is that unless you are an EU citizen, it is almost impossible to work legally. In fact, the organisation I work for gets cookie-cutter type applications from tens of candidates, all of whom say pretty much the same thing, but none of whom have the right paperwork to work legally in Italy. I don't know what these schools are promising their students in terms of working after the certificates, but your nationality is really, really important.

What do you know about the internship? It's a question I would certainly ask. If they are guaranteeing you paid, legal work, it would be interesting, I think.
lennon146

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Dweller,

I got my certificate with TEFL International in Rennes, France in 2003 and I really have no complaints about them. I had a great time and learned a lot, though I guess some of it depends on the individual who is instructing you on the course, but our instructor (an American lady) was fantastic. We also did teaching practice at a local state school which was invaluable.

The one problem I have found, and it's minor, is that many TEFL jobs you see advertised ask WHAT KIND of TEFL certificate I have... and unless you say "Celta", they frown upon it. Celta's a bit more expensive, I believe, though I'm convinced there's very little difference in the quality of the course (I have a close friend who took a Celta). Having said this, I have been offered jobs in various places... Italy, China, S Korea... purely on the strength of my TEFL International certificate. Some employers are pickier than others.

Paul Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: