Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

work in dubai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mingmong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: work in dubai Reply with quote

hi, i am currently working in xinjiang china and am considering a move to dubai as my partner is taking a two year contract there. this is my first esl job and i dont have an ma. i have been reading this forum and am quite disheartened. i am obviously going to get a lower paying job but what can be defined as "lower" are there many private language schools, i don't really know where to start. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
nomadykaty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of language schools in Dubai (ELS, Berlitz...) that are always hiring part-time workers. They pay between AED 20-50 an hour (depending on experience). I've mentioned these 2 since I've seen their schools, but there are a lot more out there. Check out their web pages, drop them a line, and see what they suggest.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: work in dubai Reply with quote

mingmong wrote:
i am obviously going to get a lower paying job but what can be defined as "lower" are there many private language schools,

One problem is that most of the language schools do not provide housing or visas. You did not mention your nationality, but be sure to read the messages on this board concerning co-habitation.

VS
mingmong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am australian, my partner is chinese. i have looked at some of the postings concerning cohabitation and i guess it's not cool 4 us to live together, but i am sure he will b living in a share house with co workers, one of whom is female - is that common, will it be cool if i have a room in that house? or is the gender divide very strict.
Afra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have problems getting a residency visa as there are qualification requirements for teachers. Your partner won't be able to sponsor you unless you marry and his income is above a certain level.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is living in shared housing, it will not be pleasant. Most likely it will be quite ghastly. I expect that the government doesn't pay much attention to their 'slave' labor living arrangements.

BUT, if you moved in, it would be like shining a big spotlight on the situation. It they _see_ what is going on, then they must take action.

It would definitely NOT be cool. You would likely be the cause of the whole group of them being deported - or flogged and jailed.

Even if you have a high degree (MA and PhD) and get a job with high pay and provided housing, you would not be able to live with him without marrying him. If you were both Aussie or both Chinese, it is easier to get away with this, but can still be risky.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: