Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living in Rabat, Morocco? Other issues for a family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
refazenda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Cost of living in Rabat, Morocco? Other issues for a family Reply with quote

I have seen several posts on living in various areas of Morocco, but I have more specific questions. We are a family of three (toddler) and are looking at jobs in Rabat. I was told by one person that a salary of $2800 USD would not be sufficient to support a family, stressing that cars are very expensive. From what I know, however, it is possible to get around in Rabat without a car. We are currently living outside of the US in one of the Central American republics, and we have adjusted nicely to living with local products (few imported products).

Is it really that expensive to live in Rabat? When I looked at a salary comparison program I saw that the cost of living in Rabat was comparable to most of Central America, but now I am not so sure. If it is, then we can probably live fairly well on the above salary (based on our lifestyle). I've heard a two bedroom flat can be found for less than $500, but that if you want to live in a villa it will cost more. What about other costs? Do people usually have maids? Nannies? Daycare?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I do not speak much French, but my husband does.
blues clues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: rabat, morocco Reply with quote

I was offered a job in Rabat at between 7000 - 8000 dirhams, which means nothing to me really, but the person who gave me a phone interview said one does not make money to save in Rabat....if you want to go and just experience a new culture, then it may be the place, but if one is looking for savings, then go elsewhere. However, with the dollar value, don't think any of us, anywhere are making any money to save....so qualitiy of life may be better there.
refazenda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: re: rabat, morocco Reply with quote

So is 8000 dirhams supposed to be enough to live on, or will you need to supplement your income with tutoring or by other means? If 8000 dirhams is enough for one, I don't see why 2500 USD (about 22000 dirhams) is not enough!
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2800 a month is plenty. You have nothing to worry about and you don`t need to car. People get by on a lot less than that.
nolefan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2800 USD (roughly 26,000 MAD) is more than enough to get by in a city like Rabat. Rent should run you about 4 to 6 grands in an upscale posh place, taxis are dirt cheap and so is the food. There are plenty of folks living reasonably well with 7 to 10 grands a month
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nolefan wrote:
taxis are dirt cheap and so is the food.

Similarities between Morocco's cuisine and the taxis don't stop there. There's only two types and both will give you cardiac jip in later life. Major difference, of course, being that you can always get a taxi.

But we digress. The original poster is indeed fortunate if he or she rakes in 28000 a month. Most of Morocco's TEFLys get around 10K give or take. It could be troublesome financing those alcohol binges and trips over the Gibraltar Strait every weekend, which are a must for any longish spell in magribi land.
refazenda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Relief! Reply with quote

Well, that is comforting to hear! We don't however, expect to do too many Gilbraltar runs or alcohol binges; we have a little one at home. We do need more money than the average salary, but even now we live frugally (buying locally, for example) so I was hoping we'd be able to do well.

Thanks for oyur responses!
alcmarr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Cost of living in Rabat Reply with quote

This may be a little late for you, but I'll send it anyway. Yes, you could find an apartment for less than 500 dollars a month, but probably not in the most convenient parts of town, where you could pay 700 and up. This would be for a totally empty place (which is how most apts in Morocco are rented---no fridge, no stove, sometimes no lightbulbs!) so you'll have to figure outlays for those things. A fridge, new, here can run 500 dollars and up, a stove about the same, depending on what you want.

If you don't have a car, you'll be taking a lot of taxis, I suppose. Would your child be going to any sort of school or nursery? If you buy a car, keep in mind that insurance is quite high, as is gas (at least double the price of gas in the States). Car insurance is figured on the HP, and can cost as much as 300 dollars a year. Used cars can be extremely iffy--- you need to know who's selling. New cars can run 25,000 dollars and up. A new Ford Focus here goes for about 30,000.

The salary you mention, however, is quite high for Morocco, and once you get some major expenses out of the way, you can probably live comfortably enough.

Hope this is of some use.

AR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: