Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Public Schools
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Support The New Public School, Foreign Teacher Scheme?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Undecided
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Teach in Public Schools Reply with quote

18 new teachers have arrived last month, as the first wave of the new scheme. Their airfare was paid for, by a local food manufacturer. They are to begin teaching in Chaiyi and Nan Tou counties.
Somehow, I doubt they are working for free. I also suspect that this so called religious organization is in fact operated by one of the local foreign teacher recruiters. The local teachers are getting a little too organized and the laws are becoming a little too restrictive.
The fact that Chaiyi and Nan Tou were chosen as the location has a great significance. There are several official warnings to teachers about working in Chaiyi, Taiwan. Look in the job information section of this web site. The local Ministries of Education in both of these counties are notoriously corrupt. There was also a very suspicious killing of a foreign teacher there last year.
If any of these teachers are reading this, please contact us before it's too late. We can and will help you.
SSETT
[email protected]

Taiwan's New T.E.T. Program

http://www.newtimesbpb.com/issues/1999-02-18/feature.html/page1.html
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2003/01/20/191723
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?onNews=1&GRP=A&id=17582
http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2003/01/07/1041900619.htm
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2003/01/07/190092
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2003/01/07/190049

Last edited by Aristotle on Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: I talked to them about a job Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the guy who is setting this program up is an American. He's religious and spent 6 years in Nagoya, Japan teaching.

I talked to them about a job.

I turned the job-offer down.

He seemed like a really friendly guy.

Don't remember his name or where the positions were located - All I know is that they were in the South.

It also sounded like a lot of work!

The ad was in the China post back in December maybe???

I also remember thinking that their expectations were very high in terms of the quality of people they were looking for and the amount of hours they expected from the teachers.

About that murder - I understand that it was an accident and that it was investigated thoroughly. The woman was very drunk and slipped and took a tumble down some stairs and suffered a head injury.

In short form, what is your explanation?

Yrs.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Murder Reply with quote

Murder,
Is that short enough for you?
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you know that the police don't?

Doesn't sound like murder.

She was drunk, slipped on some stairs, took a tumble and suffered a head injury.

I thought I read about this a while ago on tealit.com, maybe.

Yrs
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: I Know, What Everybody Should Know About Taiwan Reply with quote

I assume you now want the long version.
Let's see.
First we will start with Chaiyi itself. The self proclaimed capital for organized crime in Taiwan. I think it is wishful thinking on someone's part but I am not an expert. I only know that at least one of the Chaiyi representatives to the national legislator was elected from a jail cell. The mayor was elected in a similar fashion. What were they in jail for? Corruption and violent crime, of course. After they bought their respective electoral seats the got a pardon from the rest of the criminals in the national legislator, they began running the place.
Second, their is a confirmed organized crime connection . She was being pursued and stalked by at least one associate of the the local triad. She attempted to escape and found herself back in Chaiyi.
Third, her friends knew what was going on and fled the country shortly after her death.
Fourth, the body was cremated before a second independent autopsy could be conducted.
The list goes on, on and on.
The most conclusive proof is the police efficiency involved in closing this case, nearly unheard of except in cases involving organized crime.
This is Taiwan, anyone who comes here enters at their own risk. All the information is out their. All a person has to do is look, or talk to people who have been here. Be careful and use common sense.

A.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've heard that Taiwan is dangerous - Tidal waves, earthquakes, flood....and organized crime.

Thks.

Yrs.
ImaniOU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: You'll have to excuse Aristotle... Reply with quote

It doesn't even seem like he has lived in Taiwan or is of the "revolving door" ex-pat types, but he has posted this very same thread on segue.com.tw as well and was banned for having tactless tunnel vision and refusing to listen to other people's opinions...kinda like he's doing here.

You can only beat a dead horse so many times, Aristotle...
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think of it, he's a testy little fellow, isn't he?

Ha, haaa!

But seriously, wouldn't the police be able to do anything if it was mob related?

I at least hope that would be the situation.

Yrs
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: I Was Wondering When You Guys Would Show Up? Reply with quote

Well, at least one of you (ImaniOU) has the guts to try to express your opinions outside of your controlled environment. I have to tell you though, I don't think you will find as many organized crime supporters here as you will in the pro Taiwan forums.
As far as the police go in Taiwan, the Organized Crime Task Force office in the central Police Headquarters in Taipei is not a law enforcement task force. It is a liaison and accounting office, ensuring the police get their cut.
For those of you who don't live in Taiwan, let me be the first, but not the last to tell you. Organized crime takes on new meaning here. It incorporates all areas of government and in many areas, it is the most effective branch of government.
Taiwan has a long way to go before it can become a real country. Ridding itself of it's criminal, controlled government is going to be the biggest and most difficult step.
A.
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Don't know what you're all talking about Reply with quote

Maybe if you posted some links to newspaper articles or some unbiased info on this public school plan, people might vote in your poll. I recall reading in Taipei Times a month ago about some plan to hire ESL teachers in public schools and that they'd be phased in over a period of time, starting in rural areas. Is this the plan you're talking about?

If not, please clarify. And who is the religious guy and the "murdered" woman and how are they connected to this plan?????????
killian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: for those out of the loop: Reply with quote

lots of people outside of taiwan have no idea how things are over here. for a quick jump start check out this book: The Soong Dynasty. It is an utterly readable book and is guaranteed to drop your jaw several times over. The levels of corruption here were/are simple astonishing. the author (sterling seagrave(?)) does a great job.
Okami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: There is so much more Killian Reply with quote

Killian just gave you a taste, ther is so much detailing the high degree of corruption by Chinese officials for years.

Try the following:

Chinese Local elites and patterns of dominance

Stillwell: The American experience in China

Officialdom unmasked

Jiang Jing-kuo biography

There is so much more too. Just reading the English level newspapers is the tip of the iceburg. They've recently caught 40 of the 44 city councilors taking bribes, buying and selling votes in Kaoshiung. The mayor in Kaoshiung is the follower of a cult leader that use some cheap computer graphics to put rays of light around him. It amazes me that Transparency International ranks Taiwan as the 29th least corrupt country in the world. Makes me think they are taking bribes too.

Okami
chuckie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: mostly jive Reply with quote

I lived in Taiwan for 2.5 years and never ran into all this trouble that Aristole has "seen" or found. If you want to be misled by so much jive, go ahead. The organized crime there is little different from that anywhere else. If you keep your nose out of their business, no problem - they have no interest in you.
People like Aristotle who see themselves as evangelizers against them, however - hmmm, might just have a problem?
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: "Living life with blinders on" Reply with quote

Last I knew, most countries didn't have mobsters rallying at political conventions and then beat down the candidate after the speech. Last I knew, most "democratic societies did not allow legislators to vote from overseas retirement homes or prisons.

Look into "Tien Dao" and "Bamboo Mafia" Chuckie.

Maybe you, too, are goo huo jai? Rolling Eyes

Trinity
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Scaling It Back Reply with quote

Recently their have been reports that the number will be scaled back to nearly half that originally reported. If my suspicions are correct, the next step will be for the relevant government authorities to not hire teachers from overseas but to contract out the hiring process to the local agencies. I think we all know where it goes from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: