Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

? re: work holiday visa application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lautaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: ? re: work holiday visa application Reply with quote

I have a question regarding the application for the work holiday visa. I'm a Canadian without a degree interested in going to Japan to teach English and study as well as compete in martial arts. In the itinerary portion of the application, I stated my intention to go to Osaka to train martial arts and teach English. The Japanese consulate basically told me that this was unsatisfactory for acceptance of this visa. They said if I intend to teach English, I need to get a work visa (which I can't because I don't have a degree) and if I just want to study martial arts I can go on a tourist visa (which isn't good for a year).

I want to live in Japan for a year so I'm wondering what I can list on my 6 month itinerary that would satisfy the consulate? I had the impression that employers wouldn't be too impressed with a teacher who stayed for a month or two before hopping off to their next destination. I would like to travel, but I also need to find a reliable and steady source of income. Any suggestions for the application?

Lautaro
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the wording from your consulate, I would say that they don't know what they are talking about. Working holiday visas, by sheer virtue of their definition, allow people to take a vacation (holiday) and find a little employment (work) to support them along the way.

Many people use WHVs to find work in Japan. The main problem with such a visa is that it has a one year maximum time limit, and it can be used only once (no renewals).

If you want to study martial arts, I suggest you look into having a martial arts school sponsor you under a student or cultural visa.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/
David W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with Glenski go under a cultural visa, the conditions on working are almost the same as a WHV but I imagine they are easier to renew. The down-side is you have to be officially enrolled in a school or institute and a lot of them aren't cheap. If you are still keen to go on a WHV just tell the person at the consulate what he/she wants to hear. Once you are in japan you can do what you like. No-one will keep tabs on you.
Lautaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski, a student or cultural visa is an interesting idea, but not a feasible one in my case. I'm not affiliated with any Japanese martial arts school at this time.

I'm basically looking for suggestions on what the consulate would consider satisfactory for the itinerary portion of the application. I have to jump through their hoops so I'm seeking counsel on the best way to do this if anyone already having gone through the process knows what they want to see.

Lautaro
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: sigh Reply with quote

It still sounds like the person you talked to is ill-informed.

1. Studying on a tourist visa may be acceptable, but it sure sounds odd. Not only is the length of stay on such a visa too short to complete any studies, but I'm almost sure the immigration officials in Japan will be rather puzzled when you arrive and say you are here to study but don't have a student visa.

2. You don't need a work visa to work in Japan. Yes, that's the intent of the work visa, but other visas allow you to work. And, Canadians are in a special group of nationalities that have the luxury of getting that working holiday visa, which is not available to Americans, which is used for the purpose of traveling AND working (hence its name), and which doesn't require a bachelor's degree. Either you didn't make your point clear to them, or they are stupid.

You may not be affiliated with any martial arts program/school right now, but what I was saying was that you can come here on a student/cultural visa IF YOU CAN BECOME SPONSORED/AFFILIATED with one in Japan before you come. That's the whole idea behind the student/cultural visa process. Forgive me for being blunt, but just how did you expect to study martial arts in Japan?

Go back to the consulate and talk to a different person, or present these points.

By the way, if you want to study here, teach English AND travel, as you mentioned in your first post, you'll have to re-think your plan. Not only is travel expensive here, but if you are studying and teaching, you aren't going to have that much time off for traveling. Most people get only a week off in spring, a few days off in August, and a week or so around New Year's. That's EVERYONE in Japan, not just foreigners. As a result, traveling rates and hotel prices double or triple during those periods.
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go back to the consulate and tell them that you studied Japanese in university and you want to go to Japan and hone your language skills to a fine edge. Then mention your family did homestays and it has always been an aspiration of yours to TRAVEL in the land of the rising sun. Don`t make any mention of work, and when they ask you what kind of job you plan on getting look dumbfounded and say I don`t know. Go on the internet and create some bogus itinerary from information on festivals and that kind of stuff.
Lautaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski, I'm already training at 2 different schools and I'm not interested in joining a third at this time. I expected to study martial arts in Japan by going to Japan and enrolling in a martial arts school. Sounds reasonable to me. I also wanted to depart very shortly so I don't have the luxury of time to develop a relationship with a new school.

As for travelling, I was just going to do that on my vacations, as you mentioned. That was why I was so annoyed by the consulate's insinuation that I'm supposed to be going all over the place. That's fine if I have the money to do that, but if not I have to work and if I'm working I can't travel as freely. Hence my frustration.

Matt, thanks for your reply. I don't like the idea of lying as much as THAT, but I will look into info on festivals and special events. Good call, thanks.

Lautaro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: