Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadians in France via Working Holiday Visa?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_p0et

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Canadians in France via Working Holiday Visa? Reply with quote

Are there any Canadians going to or living in France through this Working Holiday Visa? My wife and I are 23 years old and thinking of obtaining one to help us live in France legally. We're just finishing our current TESL job in Taiwan and want to teach English or any other job (with no French) in France. We, of course, prefer the Paris area or Nice.

So far, all I see on the board is replies to Americans saying that there are no legal positions for them in the country. It seems different for Canadians with a Working Holiday Visa, is it not?

Any suggestions or info would be great.
Thanks.
go2guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a very doable situation. I know one person who is doing it right now. Definitely do the application process with the Cdn consulate/embassy & once you get it you're on your way! (But my rec. is visit Paris and Nice by all means but avoid living & working in either.) Feel free to contact me at my "go2" e-mail if you have any more questions. Good luck.
Luder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure, but I think both Canadians and Americans under thirty are eligible for one-year non-renewable working visas. That's the way it was a couple of years ago, at any rate. Is that what you mean by a working-holiday visa? A foreign concept to me, I'm afraid.

When I told a secretary at the university where I was teaching in Nice that I was moving to Paris to look for work, she told me I'd be living in the two cities with the unfriendliest people in France and that I should go to Toulouse or somewhere else in the southwest. For what it's worth, I've had both good experiences and bad in Paris and Nice, more of the good in Nice than in Paris. Keep in mind too that the C�te d'Azur, unlike Paris, is basically one long, narrow metropolis from Cannes--believe me, it's a dump--in the west through Nice to Menton on the Italian border and that unless you get a job at a university you'll probably have to buy a car or a scooter to get around to your different clients in widely scattered locations.
go2guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang on Luder! I haven't worked in either location (Paris or Nice) but from my own visits and feedback I've had from others you seem to have nicely summarized the situation, includingly the observation that Cannes is basically a dump -- my sentinment precisely! Funny how people who have never been to France always assume it consists mostly of Paris & then possibly Nice. Maybe we could give Dave a tip for new "passersby" on the Cafe, i.e. Paris is the capital but not the only city in France!!! I've also heard great things about Toulouse (but have never been there). My nexus for 4 yours was Lyon. Great region with lots of work.
the_p0et

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Work in France Reply with quote

I have traveled through many different cities and towns in France, but the three that I found the most "interesting" are: Paris, Nice, and Biarritz. The one city out of all of the European places I've been to that have had the worst attitudes was Paris. (by far!) I'm open to suggestions and will look into the other places you've mentioned. Smile
aaron in halifax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a definite age cut-off for canadians getting a working holiday visa ?? what other options are there for someone over 30, with tesl and a degree (if any) ??
go2guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite certain the cut-off age for the working holiday visa is 30 but go to http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca and you should be able to find out for yourself. Unfortunately for Canadians without European passports it's VERY difficult to work legally in France or anywhere in Europe. Having said that I firmly believe in the "where there's a will there's a way" credo & have met Canadians who live & work in France. You just have to consider whether you are willing to pay the significant time & money investment to make it happen. Good luck.
the_p0et

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Au Pair Reply with quote

There's always au pair jobs throughout Europe that are fairly easy to obtain for male or female's. This is probably what we're doing after here. (teaching in Taiwan)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: