Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ONLY teachers from UK, Canada, US, NZ & Aus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamlesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: ONLY teachers from UK, Canada, US, NZ & Aus? Reply with quote

Is it correct that Indonesia's labour laws only allow the hiring of foreign teachers from the above countries? That's what I read on some English First websites, as well as job ads. If that is the case, any ideas why?
Are there teachers of other nationalities working in Indo?
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Nationality Reply with quote

hmmmm. I dont think the labour laws have much to do with hiring teachers of certain nationalities. me thinkst its the accents that the employer is concerned about. but then if they will canadians, surely they will take just abooo anyome, aye? Laughing
ls650

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, what's with the hate-on for Canadians? Did some evil Canuck kick your puppy or something?

As for the OP's question, yes, apparently it is true. One of my former co-workers in Indo was Irish, but he couldn't get a work visa with his Irish passport. Because his mom was English, he was able to get a UK passport and use that to apply for his work visa.

Why? I dunno, but I would hazard a guess that some official somewhere didn't realize that people in Ireland can speak English!
phis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true. English Language Schools just cannot get visas for people of other nationalities, and no respectable school is going to hire you without one.

However, I have heard that if you are hired by International Schools as a 'general teacher', as opposed to an 'English Language teacher', you can get a visa. I'm not sure how true this is.

Here in Indonesia, there are always ways around the rules, it usually depends on whether the school has a 'contact' inside the Immigration department.

I suppose it all depends on how desperate the school is to employ you, and whether they want to put themselves to all that bother.
Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: no sense of humour Reply with quote

worm boy. lighten up man.
but then again, Canada did give is Bryan Adams and Celine Dion -wow. thanks Canada.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: no sense of humour Reply with quote

Chester Boy, maybe you can tell us where you're from so we can all take a poke at you..?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 650, you might want to poke Chester but please don't assume the rest of us swing that way. Besides, I have a girlfriend.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I'll rephrase:
Chester, maybe you can tell us where you're from so we can all mock your accent and nationality.
kamlesh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the International Job Board there were 2 ads this week, one by EF & another by Shines Education. The latter included South Africa on the list of teachers they could hire.
So does the restriction depend on the type of school that is recruiting? Here are both statements:

Note - Due to strict immigration regulations we can only consider applications from those native to the United Kingdom, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Please send your CV/resume by e-mail. Due to strict Immigration regulations we are only able to consider applicants native to The UK, The USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: