Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for Americans?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslmeg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Jobs for Americans? Reply with quote

I am an American heading to Prague in July 2005. Does anyone have any experience with working in Western Europe?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it's unclear whether you want to work in Prague (Central Europe) or head west to some of the original EU member countries like Germany, France, Italy, and etc.
There are jobs for Americans in Central Europe, though in some cases EU teachers are already given priority in hiring. By next summer, there could be some issues as laws are changing, but it's not likely to be an insurmountable problem.
Western European countries have different laws, but all favor the hiring of other EU nationals. For example, it's very nearly impossible for North Americans to get legal working papers in the Netherlands. Germany is a bit more open, though there are still lots of legal hoops to jump through. Probably, the best advice is for you to read the forums first, then ask any leftover questions you still have.
merlin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just went through processing the visa for an American. What a pain in the @$$! I did my visa a long time ago and had forgotten how difficult it was.
Non-EU citizens (yes, even Americans) need to plan for a 3-6 month period during which you will either live off of savings or work illegally. This is best done over a summer break. You come in May and might be able to legally work by september. 3 months if your employer is on the ball and has all the papers in order when you get here (and willing to look the other way on certain legal technicalities). 6 months to never otherwise.

Sorry, but those are the facts.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobs for Americans? Reply with quote

eslmeg wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with working in Western Europe?

Yes, I do ...
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the British Council needed Americans to teach for the TOEFL, but only hired Americans part-time.
There was work teaching Czech soldiers in Prague, and was for Americans only.
junkmail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, it's very nearly impossible for North Americans to get legal working papers in the Netherlands

Not surprising, the Dutch don't need EFL teachers from anyone else's country including the EU ones. The same for Sweden and Denmark.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong. The Dutch DO need English teachers! True, not for basic English for Dutch-born citizens, but there is a need for academic English teachers of all genres. Dutch English is great 'casual' English, but for specific study and work, they need ESP. And of course you're aware that there is a huge immigrant population in the Netherlands, many of whom are in need of both Dutch and English to get good jobs.
junkmail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. I stand corrected. I'd completely forgotten about the immigrants.

As for the academic stuff, yes but as you say it's not conversational English and therefore doesn't have to be a foreigner teaching it. You're probably right but I know a fair few Dutch people who studied at foreign universities without.

Mindyou, there again at that level I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to seek a work permit; for suitably qualified academic types I mean. Hmm. I must do some research.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught 3 yrs in Nederlands at uni level, primarily in Business and Economics. However, impossible to get a work permit until my spouse's company (big international) swung a deal with Den Haag on behalf of all non-EU spouses of their staff. The uni was willing to go to court to petition for an exception in my case to EU hiring law, but were told the case would certainly lose. So, I can say with fair certainty that a work permit in Nederlands is nearly impossible for non-EUs, regardless of qualifications....
junkmail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for that. That's really poor. How can we progress with such closed doors.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the EU! You've got the US and we've got the EU. I can't just turn up in the states and start working. It works both ways. Difference is that in the EU we get to experience different cultures and languages and histories - thank God!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't complaining about non-EU citizen hiring laws. My situation was different because I had to live within the EU for my spouses' work. I think in that case, the right decision was ultimately made. It's a whole different kettle of fish for someone to just sort of casually want to live in a country and to feel somehow entitled to do so. I think in a perfect world, the borders would all be open, but the current reciprocal laws are more or less fair, I suppose.
Fud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinal Synn wrote:
It's the EU! You've got the US and we've got the EU. I can't just turn up in the states and start working. It works both ways. Difference is that in the EU we get to experience different cultures and languages and histories - thank God!!!

As an American struggling to side-step EU documentation issues, I have to laugh at the irony of it all--essentially, the EU was created to get back at 100+ years of bad karma created by the INS. Well, that and all of those other intricate geopolitical things that I don't want to get into.

However, I'd like to take an exception to the "different cultures and histories" comment. Remember that the US was created by all of those very same different cultures and languages and histories, and that it's a big place. Where I'm from just outside of Washinton, DC I can go to Starbucks and McDonalds and all that, but I can also go to dingy little Ethiopean, Chilean, Malaysian, Thai, and whatever else restaurants.

And remember, for all of Europe's "different cultures and languages and histories," there are still problems. Hell, here in Spain there continues to be outbreaks of racist chants during football matches--Spaniards making monkey sounds every time a black player touches the ball. That's pathetic and so behind the times, and it's a problem that Spain needs to solve, cause it's not isolated. We all got our problems. Oh, and Cruzcampo=not that great of a beer. That needs to be addressed soon as well.
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

�Fud� should, of course, be written �***', for as all good Scottish people know, it means a lady's private parts. Then again, it might be an appropriate name, as you are making a complete 'c***' of yourself. I think that the 'dingy' should probably be applied to the McDonald and Starbucks you mentioned.

Cruzcampo - not that great of a beer.

This could be a new slogan.
Fud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I find funny about McDonalds and Starbucks in Europe?

They're never, ever empty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: