Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

language schools in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stav25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: language schools in Prague Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm starting my CELTA course on Monday and am very interested in going over to Prague from the UK once I've finished the course. Does anyone know the names and/or websites of any language schools in Prague that I might be able to find work with?

Thanx. Stav.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are roughly 60-100 language schools in the city. But, you'll need to be there, CV in hand, ready to interview, before you'll get a contract. It won't hurt to send some advance email, but that won't get you an advance job!! Try a google search for 'language schools in Prague' or 'jazykovy skoly.'
stav25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Spiral, I'll try that. Do you work in Prague? If so, what is your school like and what kind of thing should I expect??
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are super general questions!
Basically, most schools in Prague cater to businesses. English teachers are usually assigned to small groups or individuals who have classes at their places of work. You'll spend a lot of time traveling around the city from one business to another. Czechs generally dress relatively formally for work, so you'll be expected to wear at least 'business casual' dress. However, it will be understood that you are traveling the city, so walking shoes and heavy trousers and coats are acceptable. Most teachers in Prague are responsible for lesson planning for their students, and you will usually need to do some diagnostic work with new students to make a plan for what you will cover. The schools generally offer a small library of basic teaching texts and materials. It can be a real hassle to drag a tape player around the city: if you have a very small one, it's a good item to take with you for listening lessons. A professional-looking backpack or briefcase is a must. You may also have a few classes weekly in the school itself. Very few language schools in Prague specialize in this, though, apart from Berlitz.
Most students want general business English, some just conversational. There are many more high-level students in the city these days than in the past; some may simply want to polish their language skills. However, the bulk of students are usually still in the intermediate (lower to upper) range.

There are a few schools in the city that do not fit this general mold, but unless you find yourself a special niche, this is the norm.

It goes without saying that the keyword in Prague for teachers, particularly new ones, is RELIABILITY. You need to know something about teaching, appear professional, do YOUR homework (make demonstrable plans for your lessons) and SHOW UP ON TIME ALL THE TIME. Prague has been plagued by unprofessional, chronically hung-over, so-called- teachers. Both employers and students are on high alert for these problems.
Please don't be insulted - it's just that Prague has such a reputation (particularly in the UK) of being a great party city, that many new teachers come with the expectation of non-stop party fun. No that the weekends and off days can't include great fun, but professionalism is the key to finding decent jobs in the city, especially these days.
stav25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Spiral.

You've opened my eyes a bit to what it's like over there. I'm used to teaching in classrooms, in the same building all day, so if what you say is right, I'll have to take into consideration the travelling to various business locations thing. I visited one or two websites of schools and they operated as you have described, so I'll have a good think about it, my options are open.

PS if you were from the UK and had spent a few dark winters here, you'd be after a non-stop party too. Sad

thanx again.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a sunnier clime, like Spain or France!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: