Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Since our apostilling discussion is taking on novel prop's.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Since our apostilling discussion is taking on novel prop's. Reply with quote

I thought I'd post a new question onto this discussion, and wasn't sure it would get noticed at the top of page three of the ongoing former discussion topic heading:

'Apostilling your documents for Mexico. .'

Too funny! Anyways, once you've gotten whatever documents you think need to be apostilled, apostilled - Do you still have to bring your originals with you (degree, and TESOL certificate).

I really didn't want to haul the original of my degree with me - but if it's recommended, I will.

Thanks a million,

N
shelley

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: legalizing documents Reply with quote

Good question! I'd also like to know if, when you say 'copy', do you mean photocopy or do I need to obtain a copy of my degree/certificate from the universities and have these legalized? Confused May sound like a silly question but I don't want to go through the hassle only to find out a photocopy won't cut it! Thanks. Shelley Smile
Nic

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: What is a copy?? Reply with quote

Hi Shelley,

It is kind of confusing. Since your in Canada, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing for you, so this is what I did.

Took my degree and TESOL certificate to a lawyer. The lawyer then took my original and made me a 'notarized copy' - which is basically a photocopy with their 'stamp' on it, and signature.

So, No, do not copy your degree or certificates yourself. The lawyer will provide the notarized copy for you, and then you forward this notarized copy on to get authenticated and legalized in Ottawa.
shelley

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: to copy or not! Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. Just a few more snags to work out and it should be smooth sailing (well, smoother!). Cheers. Shelley
g-lover

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: apostilling Reply with quote

I'm starting the process of getting my transcripts apostilled. It's a pain.

I wanted to point out that if you are in the US, whichever state issued the document must also notarize it and aposttle it. If your degree is from NY and you live in California, the California Secretary of State will not apostille your document, and the NY secretary of State will require notarization from someone in NY.

There was an informative link from the US Embassy in Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/authentication.html

It tries to explain what an apostille is and gives a list of all the secretary of state offices with telephone numbers and apostille fee.

I've also tried contacting three different Mexican consulates and the embassy. Forget it Exclamation Most of the time they don't pick up the phone, and their websites are conveniently under construction. They won't be able to help you at all.

What I'm unsure about if anyone knows. Do I need to be present while my transcripts are notarized? Question Question One friend told me yes. Another says no because I'm not signing the transcripts. It makes a difference. I went to university in a different state.
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: This was in the old topic, but I'll move it here Reply with quote

If you are in the US and you need to get documents Apostilled (or is it Apostillized?) there are two ways of going about it. One is sending the it to the Secretary of State of the State where the issuing institution is. (Make sure you ask for the apostille to be on a copy and not the original or immigration might want to keep the original. The other way, which is easier if you've moved across the country is to have a local notary public make a notarized copy. Then send or take that copy to the Secretary of State of the state where the notary works. The Secretary of State will authenticate that this is the seal of a true registered notary public. You can see http://www.filinginoregon.com/notary/authentication.htm (page down) .

This is how the majority of our America teachers get their Apostilles. Brits have to send documents to The Home Office (I love that name!) and in Australia it's the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

I hope this helps

MEL
M@tt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
So the notary is making a photocopy of the document? I want to know if that's all I would need, because it would cost $65 to have my university print a duplicate of the diploma. Of course, a photocopy would be free.
Thanks
Chunderbuttocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a couple of q's about apostilling documents.....If I bring my original birth certificate, will I still at some stage need a notarised copy? And when I complete my ITTO TEFL certificate in Guadalajara, does that need to be notarised?
Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: TESOL certs Reply with quote

Getting that TESOL cert accepted by la migra depends on what state you plan towork in after. I think that Jalisco accepts it along with your degree, whereas DF only looks at a degree. Other states seem to accept only the cert without degree. You wold think the feds would apply things the same across the land, but no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chutterbutt

You won't need your birth certificate unless you are planning to get married in Mexico. And in that case, at least in Oaxaca, you just need a plain photocopy of it.
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[vv

Last edited by MELEE on Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M@tt wrote:
Hi,
So the notary is making a photocopy of the document? I want to know if that's all I would need, because it would cost $65 to have my university print a duplicate of the diploma. Of course, a photocopy would be free.
Thanks

Matt
Yes, the notary will make a photocopy of the document then put her/his seal on it claiming that it is a true authentic copy of an original document she/he held in her/his hands. But unless that notary is a close friend or relative of yours I don't think it will be free. This is after all a service she/he is preforming for you and the notary had to go to some sort of class and pay something to become a licensed notary public... but all said and done, it should cost less than $65.

To everyone else, make sure you get an appostille on a copy, not on your original degree, unless your uni gives out duplicates cheap, cause immigration will want to keep what ever paper the appostille is attached to.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: