Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western women & the ME
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Women in UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, and Syria (most parts of the countries) dress in a very westernised way."

I'm assuming you're referring to foreign, as opposed to local women? In most of the countries you mention - notably the UAE - many, even most local women definately do NOT "dress in a very westernised way".
iraqikiwi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleopatra, it's not a basis of foreign or local women. The country allows most women to wear what they want. There is a possibility where local women may not be allowed to do so by their family members and so on. Yet, if you take a look at what they wear under the black veil, you could be amazed. Some local women don't even wear the abaya veil right and you could see all what you gotta see!

Cheers,
Sara.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iraqikiwi,

You are obviously very new to this board if you think that there is anything under an abaya that would surprise our Cleopatra!! Laughing After all, she wears one every day to work and teaches women.

She was merely pointing out correctly that, in particular, the UAE didn't really fit into your list very well because you weren't very clear about whether you were referring to expats or locals. Only a small percentage of Emirati women (and almost all of that small number only in Dubai) test the cultural norms.

But, personally I still recommend to any woman going there to work that although it seems very 'westernized' - it is still a conservative Muslim culture and to err on the side of modesty... ie leave the short shorts, bare midriffs, and tube tops back home. You wouldn't be arrested for what you wear, but your dress does often decide whether you will be treated with respect by others or not.

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,
I'm curious how much respect does a western woman get in UAE even dressed conservatively?
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the Gulf region for 15 years now, and dress in a way that I consider to be modest, while still wearing fashionable clothes. I teach both male and female students, and have never felt that I've been disrespected in any way. Both male and female students here seem to 'approve' of the way I dress, and comment when they think something I'm wearing looks nice, the same as would happen in a 'western' culture. Outside the classroom I dress more casually, though as VS says, no short skirts, halter necks or similar, unless I'm in one of the international hotels. I cover anything revealing with a jacket until I get to the less conservative environment of a hotel. The only time I get any 'disrespectful' reactions is possibly from the occasional group of very young teenage boys, and then it's not because of what I'm wearing. As any woman living in the Gulf knows, these boys would react in the same way to local women who are fully veiled.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon,

Spicegirl has had the same experience as I have. In all of my years around the Middle East, I have always been treated with respect - equal or often better than in the US. But, I have always tried to show equal respect for the local culture by not challenging their cultural norms any more than I felt necessary to preserve my own.

Any problems tend to come from the same age group that is a problem in the west - 12 to 25 year old males with time on their hands and a group of friends to impress. I'm sure you can relate. Cool And with this group, it really doesn't matter what you are wearing or what you look like - you merely need to be female and there. You do have the problem that with the population explosion this is a large proportion of the population. So, you do learn to avoid the local boys schools when you can. Smile

If one considers staring as disrespect, the worst problem comes from the subcontinental workers. (it quickly became apparent to me that there is no social stigma to staring in places like India because everyone stares at you... no matter their age or gender...) The situation of men trying to pick you up became a much bigger problem after the arrival of the hoards of Russians. The more provocatively you dress, the more men will approach assuming that you are one of the hookers.

Speaking of comments on dress from students, in the Emirates when I taught all women, they were more likely to suggest that I be more flamboyant. Smile My wardrobe tended to the cool and comfortable - long skirts, cotton blouses and sandals - never been a slave to fashion myself. They thought I should be wearing painted on jeans and spike heels to class!! They never quite seemed to fathom that I was closer to their grandmother's age than theirs. As to compliments, the majority were from students (male and female) who encountered me out of the classroom - or in the college on the weekend when I would be in jeans (with a longish top, of course).

And that is probably more than you ever wanted to know.

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments spicegirl and vs, it does help...my wife at least.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to make the move to the ME and she has specific questions, just give a holler.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: