Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: Using US Citibank account in M�xico

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samiam

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Question: Using US Citibank account in M�xico Reply with quote

Hello there,

I have one quick question: Is it possible to open up a bank account with Citibank in the US, and use that bank account in M�xico? I have heard that it is difficult for a foreigner to get a bank account. Hence, opening up the account in the US may be a way to make this process easier.

- Sam
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Just wondering Reply with quote

Being naive about many things, I may be asking a question that has a very obvious (to everyone else) answer, but why are EFL teachers who plan to come to this country so concerned about having a Mexican bank account? Unless a teacher is paid by direct deposit, in which case employers usually open bank accounts for their employees, what are the reasons for having a Mexican bank account?

Question
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Banking Reply with quote

I've never seen an ESL school open an account for a teacher, at least in DF, Morelos, Jalisco, and Guerrero. Maybe it's more common with a university like yours Ben.

I think people want to open an account to avoid stinging commissions when using US accounts here in Mexico. We frequently work between a Mexican bank and banks in Canada, the US, and the UK and the commissions coming off our activities could fund Chiapas for a year (ok, maybe not THAT much).

I'm not entirely sure on Citibank, but since it owns the largest bank here, Banamex, I imagine that it would offer the most comprehensive services.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer, no.
The long answer, well it depends. You can use your ATM card to access your American bank account, but you can not do much else. Don't expect Citibank branches in Mexico to be overly helpful in this regard.

I don't know how, but my first employer opened an account for me with Bannorte. It was quite simple for them to do and all the teachers had them. We were paid by direct deposit.

Maybe it had something to with the fact that my employer was in San Luis Potosi and I was working in Queretaro.

I know it must be possible for corperate customers, but for average people, it's not so easy.

Anyway, buena suerte
Some waygug-in
lozwich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... So, can I take it from this that its perfectly ok for foreigners to open bank accounts in Mexico?

I've been following keenly (but with a little confusion) the apostilling thread, and now I'm wondering what I'll have to bring to be able to open a bank account also?

I'm Australian, if that has any impact on anything... Wink

lozwich
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: The bottom line Reply with quote

The summary: if the schooll you work for opens an account for you, problem solved. If not, use the FM3 work permit to open an account. If you don't get a permit, then you probably can't open an account.

If all is in doubt. Keep around some traveler's checks for emergencies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: