Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I want to work in Japan...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aziraphale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Why I want to work in Japan...? Reply with quote

I suspect that this question has come up before, but let me ask a more specific version:

I'm planning a move to Japan because it's where my girlfriend lives (she's a Japanese national). We've decided that Japan is the country we want to live in, and I suspect that we'll be engaged before the end of this summer (knock on wood). However, I'm worried about using this as my reason for wanting to work in Japan because "I want to work in Japan to be with my girlfriend" sounds flaky, and I'm worried that employers will think I will dash if there's a break-up. (I won't-- it's not my style, but someone reading my cover letter isn't going to know that.)

I can't honestly profess to have had more than a passing interest in Japan before I met my girlfriend, although I must say that my visits there have been more than enough to get me motivated to learn the language and learn more about the culture. On the other downside, my career path has only incidentally involved teaching, and never in a formal classroom situation, so I can't really B.S. about wanting to further my teaching career.

So what to do? What do these people want to hear? Any advice from you veterans out there?

A.
David W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something along the lines of "it has long been my dream to live and work in a foreign country and my Japanese friends here in Canada have told me about Japan......blah blah blah". I wouldn't mention the Japanese girlfriend specifically, not because it will be held against you but because it's irrelevant. If you also say what you said in your post about your previous trips motivating you to learn more about Japanese culture and traditions then that would help. If you are worried about your lack of teaching credentials then I might suggest you do some training before you come. There should be no lack of options if you are close to the Toronto area. Ask on the teacher training section of this site for recommendations.
thinkjedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: same boat... Reply with quote

I am in the same position. My girlfriend, a Japanese national, will be in Japan in a month and we'd made the decision for me to move out there. Barring any unforseen issues, I expect to propose by next year. Like you, if things were not to work out, I wouldn't bail and go home. Also, like you, I've been to Japan before and know what I'm getting myself into.

I'm going to LA for a JET interview next week and I'd been sweating this very question.

David, thanks for the advice...this will help us both.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: