Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hourly wage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Hourly wage Reply with quote

Hi,

I was just wondering what the going hourly wage is Kaoshiung. I will be arriving there in the end of August for work. I have already commited to a school there. By mutual preference no contracts will be signed until after I arrive. One of the things we will be negotiating is hourly wage. I would reall appreciate some feed back on the matter.

Thanks so much,
Bubbliee Rolling Eyes
bigjobs

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Bubbliee,

I'll try to help the best I can. In my limited experience, I'd say that 500NTD per hour would be par for course. Anyone and everyone can correct me, but I think it really depends on your situation. I haven't really heard of anything lower than 500 an hour, and you might also be offered anywhere in the range from 500-600, but again, it depends on the school's situation.

Personally, I think that if you are going to press the school for certain conditions, I'd really try hard for a guarantee as to how many hours you will get. I think around 25 class hours, or lessons a week is good, but it's up to you. If you're being told that you'll teach 'about' 20, I'd start to think about things, but certainly 25 lessons a week (or more) is pretty good. Also, if the school can't guarantee you hours, I'd ask them if you can work part time outside of the school if need be.

Not signing the contract yet is a smart move. Up until now and August, I'd talk to a couple of other schools, just to get a feel for what the offer, and what you should expect. Also, if the job with the school you are talking to falls through, for whatever reason, you can fall back on another job. By talking to other schools, you can guage what is absolutely necessary in a contract, and try to get an iron-clad guarantee they are in yours. Minimum pay is something you want to guarantee, but also think about your ARC, thr hours, whether any money will be deducted at the start of the contract to ensure you stay, housing arrangements, what kind of deductions the school might make, and so on. It would be handy if they could send you a sample contract.

I hope this helps!
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school I will be working for is called Palnet English. Anybody hear of it? I talked to a teacher there and he had nothing but good things to say. I do have a bcak up school already as well. The back up school is KNS, but of course things could change alot between now and then. The fees for my ARC paper at Planet English will be paid for as long as i finish a year contract with them. I will be finding my own accomadations, but they will put me up for the first 2 weeks that I am there so I can find my own place and they will assist me in my search. One thing I really like about this school is it is owned and operated by a fellow Canadian. So hopefully there will; be no communication problems like someone suddenly pretending to not understand English. I am finding right now most schools are offering around 550NT per hour. I have seen on this board that people often say if you sign a contract before you get here you don't make as much money as people who go there then look for a job. That's why I was wondering. Thank you for your reply, you had some good advice there for me. Anybody else got any ideas?
Bubbliee Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: