Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviewing for a saudi job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theycallmesusie1974

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Interviewing for a saudi job Reply with quote

Hello,

My husband has an interview coming up for a teaching job at a college in saudi. The interview is in America at a Saudi Consulate.

Has anyone been thru this?

What is appropriate dress, suit? or a sportcoat with tie and business slacks?

What sort of questions should he expect?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Susie
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Dress for success Reply with quote

Dear theycallmesusie1974,
As for what to wear, I'd suggest suit and tie - most of the Saudis would appreciate your husband's taking the trouble to dress formally, and I believe that in the universities they DO have a kind of " dress code " for teaching. However, don't go out and BUY a suit - if he doesn't have one, a sportscoat, tie and slacks will be fine. But that's the problem, you see - I don't work at a universitty here and never have. However, we do have someone on our staff who recently came over to the Institute of Public Administration ( where I work - no " dress code " here - yet ), so I'll ask him about that and see if he can also give me any info on what questions your husband might expect. I know at the IPA, the recruiters are interested in finding out just how much prospective hires know about the Kingdom, the culture and " life-style " here, so as to avoid extreme cases of " culture-shock ". I'll try to get back to you tomorrow with any info I can pick up.
Regards,
John
theycallmesusie1974

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Please do let me know.... Reply with quote

Dh has taught in the middle east already, so I expect that it should go pretty easily, but who knows???

His last job interview was not so formal, this one being at a consulate, him being flown down and the whole bit.

We weren't quite sure what to expect.

His suit is a darker suit, something that a business man might wear, and he also has a conservative sportcoat and and the whole get up.

We just weren't sure which way to go.....thinking the conservative coat might look like a wedding/funeral over there, as that's what it looked like when we lived in Egypt.

But I'm sure Saudi is different?????

Susie
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Dear theycallmesusie1974,
I talked to my colleague who used to work at the university. Back in his day, they didn't ask " technical questions " - mostly what you knew about the country. But these days, he says they're more inclined to ask more " grammatical/linguistical " questions - the kind that start: If you were teaching ___________, how would you do it? As for the suit/sportscoat, I'm sure either ( but not both - at the same time, anyway ) would be fine.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: