Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SALTS-Saudi Logistics And Technical Supports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: SALTS-Saudi Logistics And Technical Supports Reply with quote

SALTS has just posted an ad on the International Jobs Board. Does anyone with Saudi time have anything to say, good or bad, about the position, employer, locale and so forth? Thanks for the assist.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: A grain of SALTS Reply with quote

Dear Ajarn Miguk,
Though I've heard of SALTS, I don't personally have any info aout it. However, I'll check tomorrow at work among the staff to see what I can find out. More tomorrow, inshallah.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: SALTS-Raytheon Reply with quote

Used to be RAYTHEON. One of the merchants of death. In a military context in Saudi you get people who cannot do anything else. That applies to the students and their officers. Cynics say it applies to the English Language Instructors they get as well !

Money is good. US citizens only, I believe. Currently based in Jeddah, they were planning to move to Taif - a hick town in the mountains.

Last edited by scot47 on Sat May 31, 2003 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taif is nice, very nice. Friendly people as well as stunning scenery. And only a couple of hours from Jeddah.
Tom Cat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raytheon in Jeddah was talking about moving to Taif at least five years ago. Are they finally doing it? One nice thing about Taif...cooler summers.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: raytheon - SALTS Reply with quote

Last time I looked they were still in Jedah near the SAIS school and the Saudi-German Hospital. They talk a lot about going to Taif. I know wsome people who have been there for a long time. Others who only laste a few months.

Good money but at what price ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Military is a no-go zone for me Reply with quote

Dear Ajarn Miguk,
After talking to some people here who've worked for Raytheon ( now Salts ) I cewrtainly wouldn't apply there. But then, I wouldn't teach the military anywhere here. Guess it depends on how desperate you are and/or how much you like lockstep, regimented programs with, in the main, lousy learners. But aren't you the guy who used to have Oliver North as his avatar? Well, maybe you'd like it.
Regards,
John
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Impressions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, folks.

As for avatars, John, I am happy to see you remembered it and our previous discussion. Moving on to being desperate, Col. North and I are fortunate enough to have very handsome pensions from the same former employer. Desperate went out of our vocabs a long time ago.

Y'all have a nice day now.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: A dose of SALTS Reply with quote

Dear Ajarn Miguk,
Glad to hear you're well-fixed. Were I in your situation, then, I'd avoid SALTS. But you might want to recall the wisdom of the ancient Greek saying:
" Call no man happy ( or not desperate ) until he is dead ".
We live in an insecure world.
Regards,
John
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Insecure Reply with quote

While it may be an insecure world, John, I prefer living in it to being dead in it. If I find out later I was wrong, I'll try to get word back to you.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Dying to know. Reply with quote

Dear Ajarn Miguk,
Well, there are those who believe that someone did " get the word back ", about 2000 years ago. But, while everybody wants to go to heaven, very few are in a big hurry to start the journey. And thank God for that - otherwise suicide bombing would be a really booming ( so to speak ) growth industry. As for preferring living, hey - we finally agree on something. I'm not dying to find out if there's really an afterlife, either ( Except, of course, I'll have to one day, won't I? ). However, please don't bother to get the word back to me if you should head for that big roll call in the sky before I do. Knowing for sure would take much of the fun out of living - and dying.
Regards,
John
P.S. Here's a suggestion - why not apply to the IPA if you're looking for a job over here?
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Okay Reply with quote

Okay, no one spoils the surprise. On another note, IPA?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: IPA Reply with quote

Dear Ajarn Miguk.
IPA - the Institute of Public Administration, headquarters in Riyadh, branches in Jeddah and Dammam. The only downside, if you were to apply and get hired, is you wouldn't get to meet me - I'm taking my " exit only " on July 7th. But the IPA's looking for " a few good men " and, if you have the qualifications, it's a good place to work. Guess I must think so - because it's been my sole employer in the Kingdom - off and on - for 19 years, beginning way back in 1980. Let me know if you're interested.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: