Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information About Riyadh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goalies

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Information About Riyadh Reply with quote

Hi!
I've been offered to work in KSU Riyadh, but have never been there. I would like to know about life in Riyadh, i.e. accommodation (how confortable), shopping (are products available there the same as those found in Europe??) and hobbies.
What is it like to work in KSU.?
Finally, what would you advise me to bring with me? (clothing, computer, books....)
Thanks for your help.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear goalies,
Rather a general question - there are many Riyadhs
1. accomodation can vary - from a luxury compound to a cramped apartment. Depends on whom you're working for.
2. hobbies? Which ones?
3. shopping: you can get just about anything here as you can in, say, the States ( except, of course, for booze and pork products ) and more variety than in the States because a lot of European goods are also imported.
4. bring with you - I'd say travel light. Bring som eclothes, but you can get them here. Don't bring a computer - you can buy one here probably more cheaply than in the States. Books - depends on what kind you like. Jarir Bookstore has a pretty good selection these days ( as do the other bookstores ), but if you have specialized reading tastes, well, you might need to bring some.
That's about all I can tell you, given the wide-open nature of your post.
Regards,
John
P.S. It's probably good to remember - if you want/need specific answers, you need to supply specific info and ask specific questions.

Last edited by johnslat on Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mehajaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: re: books Reply with quote

I agree that Jarir has a pretty good selection. We also had alot of sucess with amazon.com. Didn't lose a single one to customs!
MindTraveller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Bring a project! Reply with quote

As a woman in Riyadh, I planned on working on a novel, and Riyadh was the right place to do it, since there wasn't much else to do.

There's the HASH, for walking or running in the desert. Usually it's without the drinking of liquor this UK group is noted for. Take a trip to the Nabateean tombs outside Medina. I did that, and learned the best ones are in Petra, Jordan. However, it was rather fun to see them in Saudi Arabia, where there were very few tourists.

So I would strongly advise you to plan some personal project - whether it's writing a book, learning Arabic, or taking distance courses. You'll have a lot of time to amuse yourself and using your time wisely will make the experience more tolerable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: