Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm interested in Oman - where should I apply folks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidanyamani

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: I'm interested in Oman - where should I apply folks? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been working in the KSA and am interested in moving over to Oman.
Could anyone tell me where I should apply. I have a BS in Business Admin, 3 years of ESL experience, a TEFL cert., finishing up a PG Certificiate in Linguistics, and I'm American. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreicated. Keep in mind, I am working on a teaching credential online and would like to work on that fulltime, so a flexible schedule would be a requirement.

Aidan
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure what a PG Certificate in Linguistics is, so I don't know if it will be of any benefit whatsoever, but your last statement certainly puts you out of the running for the vast majority of the jobs. I don't know anywhere that would offer a job to someone who wants a 'flexible schedule' so that one could work on their private studies full time.

If you are able to do this where your currently teach, you best stay there and finish it. Employers normally only hire people who fit themselves into their system, not those that want the system to fit into their private requirements.

There are not huge numbers of jobs available in Oman and the pay is probably the lowest of the Gulf. (excluding Yemen which isn't really in the Gulf)

VS
carnac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to: http://www.marksesl.com/archive/webbbs_files/index.cgi?noframes;read=1823
Sample:
Royal Air Force of Oman in Partnership with Hawthorn Muscat
English Language Teachers required
Deadline Tuesday 31. December 2003
Experience 2 years
Positions 10

Hawthorn Muscat English Language Centre is helping the Royal Oman Force (RAFO) to recruite male native speakers English Language teachers to teach in the RAFO Technical College.

JOB SPECIFICATION

1. Candidates are required to teach English as a foreign language to adult students of the Air Force Technical College, Royal Air Force of Oman, up to higher Secondary School standard, lessons preparations and conducting of examinations.

2. Qualifications and Experience: Should be a graduate preferably in English Language or English Literature, possess Diploma or Certificate in RSA/Cambridge CELTA, Trinity HALL, TESOL, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, minimum two years of experience teaching adult students and Computer literacy.

3. Civil Status. Candidates could be either Married OR Single, Age limit between 25 and 50 years. Upper Age limit up to 54 years would be considered for highly experienced and qualified candidates.

4. Working hours : Saturday- Wednesday from 0700-1330

Thursday & Friday are puplic holiday

teaching hours can be 16 to 25 hours a week.

Qualifications

Candidates wishing to apply for these teaching positions must meet the following requirements:

1. These posts are open for Male candiadtes only.

2. Should be a graduate (Bachelor degree at least) preferably in English Language or English Literature,

3. Holder of a Diploma or Certificate in RSA/Cambridge CELTA, Trinity HALL, TESOL, or Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) ,

4. Minimum two years of experience teaching adult students and Computer literacy.

5. Should be between 25 and 50 years old, Upper Age limit up to 54 years would be considered for highly experienced and qualified candidates

Compensation

RAFO (Royal Air Force) offer the following package:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

1. Post : English Language Teacher

2. Branch : Directorate of Education and Military Culture (MOD)

3. Rank/Grade : Civilian Officer Grade-6

4. Status : Unaccompanied (single) status

5. Contract : ??Contract Recruitment. Two years initial contract starting with three months probationary period and the contract is renewable annually on mutual consent.

6. Tax free Basic Salary : Rials Omani seven Hundred and Thirty (R.O.730/-) per month equivalent to Sterling Pounds 1258/-(approx.) at fixed Ministry of Defence exchange rate of
one Sterling pound = R.O.0.580 baizas. Note: (1 R.O = 1000 baizas)
The MOD fixed change rate is applicable for European residents only.

7. Increments : Annual increments of R.O.25/-per year for a period of maximum 5 years.

8. Allowances : Transport allowances or R.O.60/- per month will be paid to the candidate.

9. Gratuity : Annual gratuity of 20% of the last entitled pay x 12 paid at the end of each contract period.

10. Leave and travel : 60 days leave and three economy class return air tickets to home country (if in Europe) or else two economy class return air tickets, annually.

11. Medical : Free, medical and dental treatment at the Ministry of Defense health services.

12. Accommodation : Free, fully furnished, air conditioned, bachelor accommodation.

13. Messing : Messing and Bar facilities on a monthly payment basis through mess bills.

14. Working hours : Saturday- Wednesday from 0700-1330 hours daily and as required due to service exigencies.

15. Other benefits : Employment viza will be provided free of charge, Free economy class air ticket for joining and on completion of service.

Salary and allowances will be paid in Omani rials monthly to the local bank account of choice and will be tax free and remittable world wide.

The Ministry of Defence will sponsor resident/visit viza for the family members, relatives and friends, as applicable, on completion of the probationary period, on payment of the viza processing fees by the applicant, on prevailing ROP(Royal Oman Police) immigration regulations.

DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS

1. Applications should consist of a detailed Curriculum vitae giving career history, qualifications, experience and the personal details of the candidate supported by photocopies of the qualification and experience certificate, photocopy of the current passport and two passport size colour photographs.

2. The selected candidates should provide the following documents on confirmation of their selection and employment:

a. The original letter of acceptance of the post
b. The duly completed RAFO application form provided by RAFO
c. The duly completed two personal details forms provided by RAFO
d. Photocopies of all used pages of the current passport including any previous Omani visa pages (if previously employed/ visited Oman)
e. The duly completed RAFO Medical examination Report (RAFO/Med/1) provided by RAFO together with the following supporting medical reports/documents:

i. The Chest X-ray report and film
ii. The original E.C.G. printout
iii. The HIV test report
iv. The blood report
v. The blood group report
vi. Urinalysis report
vii. Audiometry report
viii. Dental fitness Certificate.
(NOTE: Above reports/ documents are essential for RAFO Medical Clearance)

f. RAFO will reimburse the incurred medical expenses to the candidate up to maximum of Rials Omai Two Hundred and Forty Five (R.O 245/--- equivalent) only, after the candidate arrive in Oman and submission of the original receipts/Vouchers by the candidate. RAFO will not reimburse any medical expenses for candidate who declines the Job after being selected and completion of the medical of the tests.

3. All documents mentioned in Para 2 above, except the medical reports are required to be provided to Hawthorn Muscat, as soon as the selection of the candidates are notified to commence security clearance. Medical reports may be submitted on completion of the medical examinations.

if the candidate was found professionally or Medically unfit and indiscipline during the probationary period (first three months of the contract of employment), he will be discharged from service and will pay back Hawthorn Muscat the cost of repatriation to his home country.

Please send your CV now to the following email:

[email protected]

Attention Mr. Abdul Majid Al Majali
or you can fax it to 00968-563590

Note: although in this sample ad the date is expired, these people at RAFO recruit continuously. Pay is not as specified. If you have decent qualfications you can get more. You have to push yourself.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Carnac,

Would having to work from 7-1:30 every weekday be considered 'flexible?' I have found that employers are pretty inflexible about that. Smile

VS
carnac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, VS!
Half-time job, full time pay. Afternoons and evenings for study/play whatever. Not at all bad. Alternative teach evenings at a zero private place with blah students for zip money with mornings free.
At any rate, I offered that as a sample of what's out there.
BTW, RAFO is starved for math/science people. Anyone interested? Native speakers preferred. Send CVs to Abdul Majid, previously cited.
carnac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, and the passport-size photos? Whether for a job or your labor card or driver's license, have to be 2 x 3 cm. with a blue, repeat blue background. Bring about 4 dozen. Very Happy Smile for the camera!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, those hours are nice. I've worked them myself at many places. But, you do have to put in your 6 hours every day at the same time.

And don't even remind me of all those passport pictures. I calculate all over the Gulf, there must be walls just covered with my photos. What DO the do with all of them??? Confused

VS
Couper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job ad from Dec 2004 in Carnac's post is identical to the one I answered a couple of weeks later, except for one thing. Carnac's ad clearly states that only males will be considered, whereas I have double-checked with RAFO and they say women are welcome.

Seems a bit strange...within 2 weeks they changed the policy on employing women? If this is the case, how many female teachers do they employ, 3?

If anyone out there knows, please share!

(VS has already kindly told me that Omani men are gentlemen, so I'm not terrified or anything...but I do think it might be a bit uncomfortable, teaching only men, with only male colleagues! Rolling Eyes )
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couper,

I had noticed that difference too. I wonder if they were just being polite and telling you what you want to hear (cultural bias against saying 'no' or 'I don't know'). I wouldn't want to be the only female around either - just because I fear that there may be a problem like no toilet facilities and such.

I had hoped that someone would come on and make a comment confirmed what they had told you about hiring women. But... so far, silence. If I were you, I would be applying elsewhere too.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: