Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking work in the UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmundycastle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Seeking work in the UAE Reply with quote

Hello,

I hold an MS in Education and English and have experience in teaching ESL, as well as teacher training, curriculum development and professional development in both public and private schools. I am seeking work as an ESL instructor in the UAE for the next school year. Does anyone have any advice as to where I may begin to seek job openings? My husband is also interested, though holds only a BA and a CELTA with some experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jenny
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmundycastle,

With your credentials, you should be able to find good jobs in the Emirates. I suggest that you look into:

Higher Colleges of Technology
Zayed University
UAE University
American University in Sharjah

They all have websites and you can do a search on this board and see discussions of positions for both you and your husband.

Check into them and come on back when you have more specific questions. But, time is short as they are all now starting the hiring process for next September. So, you should get your applications off as soon as possible. (note: most EFL positions in the UAE emphasize Academic English... reading/writing in particular...)

VS
jmundycastle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Thank you!! Reply with quote

The list you sent proved useful - I've applied to all four and await responses. Do you know what type of work may be available to my husband (1year teaching, CELTA and BA only)? I've been searching this site, but it seems that most employment requires a minimum MA.

Thanks again! You're very helpful!

Jenny
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenny,

Naturally, his possibilities are more limited than yours. You didn't mention what other experience he has. The key is for you to get one of the better positions with the good benefit package. You can sponsor him and then he should be able to pick up some teaching at the language schools which will give him more experience to put on his CV. Once you are in-country, often positions come up last minute at places like HCT. As long as his ego can handle that you have the 'better' job, he should be able to keep busy as long as you are in one of the larger cities. Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: