Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

prague to bratislava

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scholzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: prague to bratislava Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to Prague for my certification and then going to Bratislava to teach. I have a BA in English, a Masters in Engineering (don't ask), and some experience (1 year) as a college math and science tutor for both individuals and small groups. I've been reading the posts on this forum and have several questions:

1. Who recommends which school for certification? Which schools should be avoided?
2. I've read that it is becoming more difficult for non-EU citizens to find work in Prague. Am I correct to assume that this spills over to Bratislava?
3. If I finish a course in April, how hard is it to find work at that time of the year?
4. Does it really take several months to get the permit to work legally as one post suggested? If so, how hard is it to get reputable employers to hire you illegally while you await your permit?

Thanks in advance of your answers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer for the CZ, and I'm reasonably sure that Slovakia will be similar. Employers can hire you in advance of your actually obtaining a work permit, so long as the paperwork has been filed and your actual papers are pending. That pending period can last three or four months in the CZ. EU member citizens are becoming preferred by employers because it's easier to get legal work permission, but there is still a market for qualified, presentable, reliable non-EU teachers. April won't be the easiest month to find work, and work is always thin on the ground for July and August, even if you've landed a job thru end June. Be sure to have enough financial cushion to handle some lean times before you can really get going in September. However, at that time you'll have a bit of an edge if you've been in Bratislava, made some contacts, and established yourself a bit.
Czenglish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Illegal hiring Reply with quote

Hi, contrary to what I think the previous poster was saying, you are only legally employed once you received the special 'work visa' in your passport. Prior to that, papers pending or not, you are illegal. Doesn't mean you won't be hired mind you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the 2005 law, but there WAS a legal grace period, between filing of papers and actually receiving a visa. I'm sure that it was at least semi-legal to work during that time, because my school was audited for hiring details during the period when my own papers were in transit, and I was checked. I suppose that if my visa had been denied, I'd have been targeted for some kind of legal action more quickly - but I was cleared to work in the interim. However, things may have tightened up over the past few years.....my spouse is Czech, so I'm not subject to the visa run around every year any more.
Anyway, I think it's probably an acceptable risk to work after the paperwork has been filed. Unless you have some real reason to think your work visa might be denied (like prior criminal record or something extreme).
Czenglish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: close shave... Reply with quote

that's an interesting tale. Basically it's never been possible (ok, so never for me = 5 years that I've been involved) to work legally in the CR for foreigners without actually having received the visa in your passport. It's possible in your case that
a) they saw that your spouse is Czech and worked out that you were probably applying for the 'trvaly pobyt z duvodu slouceni rodiny' or whatever it's called which is considerably different to applying for the deftly monikered visa-for-stays-over-90-days-for-reasons-of-employment. Not that it made you any more legal, but they probably
b) couldn't be bothered to make a fuss seeing as your papers were on the way. i.e. they were lenient. Let's face it, they're more interested in illegal Ukranians.

But I guess this inspection was from the Foreign Police and not the health, social, financial or work offices. They would have gone after the owner big time because i) without a visa you can't be legally employed ii) therefore you can't be registered as an employee iii) and therefore you're not paying income tax, health and social on income earned and iv) and therefore your employer isn't paying health and social contributions on salary paid to you.

or your employer had a clever accountant......or was good at passing out bakshish.....
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the latter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: