Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL courses...worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamovita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: TEFL courses...worth it? Reply with quote

I would like to teach in Chile and am thinking about taking the bridge linguatec course. Can anyone offer advice about whether this course is worth the enrollment fee?

Also, any thoughts on whether it is possible to get a job teaching English in Santiago or elsewhere in Chile without a TEFL certificate?

Thanks!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Put yourself in the shoes of the employer. Would you hire someone who had no TEFL nor experience? If you have some experience you might find a job without the TEFL. I think the important thing to remember is that the good academies are looking for both. As for the Bridge Linguatech course, I think they are mixed reviews about that. All I know is that they pay their teachers badly.
lamovita

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Don.

I do have some teaching experience (a year in the US and a few months of teaching ESL abroad), which is why I was hoping I might be able to get a job without having to spend the money on a course.

Also, in terms of the Bridge Linguatec, can you offer advice on a course that might be more satisfactory?
BigNorm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about acquiring a TESOL certificate (CELTA) from International House? I asked my employer in Santiago about required qualifications, and he replied that anyone with a CELTA from International House will definitely be considered for work.

Bridge Linguatec states that you will have work when you complete the course. What they do not tell you that it all depends on availability. Many teachers have to wait a long time before they are given classes. And it may not be enough hours to cover costs.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is the big issue in Chile, no? If the OP is talking about NOW, then yeah it's time. There will be a hiring glut in the next 4 weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: