Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jobs in bella italia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbailey13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: jobs in bella italia Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
I am new to the cafe. I just got TESOL certified and am 19 (soon be 20). I would really love to find a job in Italy in anytime after i finish this school year in May 05 (long-termish though), I was wondering if anyone knew any really key places to search for jobs in Italy. I do have an EU passport and all, but having no offical ESL experience and being 20, do you think it will be difficult for me to find a job?

Thanks,
All the best,
Christina
eddytotti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christina Smile
I'm not much older than you and I found a job here in Sicily without any problems (it's great here too). In fact, i turned down several offers and have since received quite a few job offers during my 2 months teaching here. I don't think your age is a big problem, some schools will want older people but i think 20 is the cutting age for most schools.

You'll find more work in the north of Italy especially Milan, but for me i'd never want to work there. Take some time to look at every region, perhaps it will give you a clearer idea of where you'd prefer to work. I think Sicily is a great region to live and work, for all intents and purposes it's a different country.

You finish your studies in May, why not look for a job in a summer camp in Italy? It would give you a great insight into teaching, the people, food & drink...everything! Whilst working in the summer you could look a full time job in the upcoming academic year.

Eddy di Enna
cbailey13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
Thanks a bunch for your reply. DO you mind me asking what route you took to find the job? Did you apply directly to schools or answer postings? I have applied to some summer camps, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks Again,
Take Care,
Christina
TanyaFromOregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddy,
I just finished reading bunches of postings indicating that finding teaching jobs in Italy is VERY hard to find for nonEU people. Your outlook seems to be much more of a positive note. What is your background? Were you already a teacher? When you say that you are getting jobs, are they under the table, or legal?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Eddy's use of 'whilst' I assume he/she is British - therefore no problems with EU status. The OP has the problem licked too - Read some other threads for more relevant info regarding non-EU status. It's not impossible to find legal work in Italy as a non-EU member citizen, but it's extremely difficult.
TanyaFromOregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
From Eddy's use of 'whilst' I assume he/she is British - therefore no problems with EU status. The OP has the problem licked too - Read some other threads for more relevant info regarding non-EU status. It's not impossible to find legal work in Italy as a non-EU member citizen, but it's extremely difficult.

Thank you very much Spiral. I've looked into a few of the more relevant non-EU postings and was rather disheartened. Although I have always wanted to teach, I sought out obtaining a CELTA as a way to help assure gainful employment of any kind whilst in Italy. (Look, I used 'whilst' and I'm not even from England! *giggle). Reading the posts, however, seems to indicate that I might not be helping myself out all that much. I would so love to teach though. *sigh
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not impossible. One of my American friends lived/taught four years in Rome. However, she was only legal for the last year, when she finally made some contacts with an American firm doing business in Italy. She was paid in dollars directly into her US account, and the paperwork was all ok...but it took her literally years to find the right contacts, and she started out with perfect Italian as well.

But, there is work for illegals. The issues you have to face include insecurity (no contract - you're always subject to be laid off). You will have to cover yourself for health insurance - and be sure you read the fine print on your insurance to be certain that you'll be covered even if you're somehow injured while living/working illegally. The ins. cos. love loopholes!

Basically, if you have some funds for backup, and you can keep a reasonable financial cushion, you can make it even with illegal work. The main advice is: don't go on a shoestring!! If you do, even a little bad luck can be disastrous. Early in my career, I encountered a girl from the US standing on a streetcorner in Prague, her mountain of luggage piled at her feet, begging for change so she could phone her family to beg them to wire her some funds (which they turned out not to want to do, because they had not been supportive of her move abroad to begin with). This nightmare could happen to anybody, if you don't have reasonable financial coverage.

I would guess with your credentials, you're probably reasonably well covered in this way, so the risks may be worth taking. But a CELTA won't help you overcome the fact that there are tons of British nationals with equal or greater qualifications and without the paperwork problems to compete with.

Sorry to be a downer. As I said, it may be worth trying anyway....you'll need some luck, in addition to credentials and the desire to make it work. So, the best thing I can offer is to wish you good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: