Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

berlitz... a rip off????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kriiii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: berlitz... a rip off???? Reply with quote

I have applied for a job with Berlitz in Concepcion and just got an email telling me the pay was 3,000 per 45 min period, and then they take out 10% for taxes. They said during the busy times I can expect to work 6-8 45 min periods. I have no idea if this is good or not, but I read some other posts here that said only an idiot would work for 3,000. I am confused because berlitz is a pretty reputable school. any thoughts or ideas on this?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlitz is one of the biggest and oldest orgs out there. they stay profitable by not paying a whole lot to teachers.

You are looking just about everywhere for a position I see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don Alan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Terrible pay. Unless you are really desperate or have a lot of your own money don't accept it. As long as there are people out there who will accept such crap, the employers will continue to exploit making big profits for themselves. I appeal to everyone who is thinking about teaching in Chile not to accept less than 5000 pesos an hour.
Mochilera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a phone interview tomorrow with Berlitz in Concepcion and they also mentioned that the pay rate is only 3,000 CP. The training starts March 7, there is no travel stipend and the training which is approx 50 hours is not paid....I think I will look into getting my TESL cert before I go to Chile so that I have some choices besides Berlitz.
Bernie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: berlitz... a rip off???? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have decided to take up a job with Berlitz in Concepcion. From my conversations with them and my own research I am satisfied with what they are offering. And although it may not be the very best you can get I think it's fair enough. I think it comes down to personal preferences and preferred teaching style and hours. All the bad press surrounding Berlitz shouldn't put you off. Find out for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: