Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

apartment prices in BA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nattlenut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: apartment prices in BA Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you to all of you who have written such informative posts in the past...I am planning to end up in Buenos Aires next fall to teach English, and I am already excited about it but reading your comments makes me look forward to it even more.

I have a question, or concern, about moving to BA. Even though it's a little early for this, I have already been checking out some apartments there (just dreaming,you know) and I am confused about the prices. The listings I've looked at show prices in US dollars and they range from about 475-600 or even more. That is almost how much I pay in Atlanta right now, and I don't understand how the prices in BA, with the economy, etc., could be the same!!! Can anyone please give me to lowdown on rent prices for apartments there?

thank you!
Phil_b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... In Argentina $ is the symbol for Pesos... thus $500 is 500 pesos (about 150 US Dollars) Dollars are always written as U$ or U$s. I got really confused when I saw prices marked as $U, until someone pointed out that it wasn�t due to dyslexia but that the prices were Uruguayan pesos (I was in Uruguay at the time) - It can be confusing...

Alternatively maybe you were looking at very expensive apartments... I�m sure there are some apartments in BsAs that go for U$500 a month, but there are many a lot cheaper.
nattlenut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil, for your reply...I went back to the website where I was looking at apartments and, indeed, it said US$...So I guess that is an expensive area. Palermo, Recoleta, those are some parts of the city I remember finding apartments in. i like the descriptions of those areas, but are there any cheap apartments there (or in other areas of northern BA)? Or would I have to look in another area of the city?
Chad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palermo and Ricoletta are some of the more poshy areas of the City. And consider that abot 1/3 of the entire country lives in Buenos Aires, appartments can get VERY pricy. If you're really dead set on living in the city, I'd suggest living in some of the municipalities outside of the city. There is a great public transit system that can get you into the city no problem. And the trains (although very dangerous at night) can get you there in a matter of minuts. Try looking in places like Lomas de Zamora, Temperly, Lanus, Vicenta Lopez and such.

Also, you might want to consider going to La Plata. Its a city located to the south of Buenos Aires, and its really lovely. There are a lot of students living in La Plata due to the abundance of universities and schools. The city is cleaner, easier to navigate, about an hour busride from the Capital and my gues, A LOT cheaper living.

Hope that helps a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shanimal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apartments are fairly cheap, but not for non-locals (because you have to be able to sign a 2 yr lease and they come unfurnished). However, there are a lot of month-to-month options.

I have heard that there are cheaper apartments (or rooms) through Alliance Francaise, but I've never checked it out personally.

There are also a lot of apts and rooms for rent through the tango community, so you might want to check that out too.

I have a friend that rents several apts to tourists for about $400 (US dollars) a month ($150 week). They are in Palermo (one might be in San Telmo) and are very nice (furnished with bed, futon, table, dishes, tv, cellphone, etc. )
See...http://tangobay.netfirms.com/rental.html

I hope that helps. Good luck! Very Happy[/url]
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nattlenut,

Room prices here can vary greatly - like everywhere. You can get some rather expensive appartments like mentioned above, or, if you don't mind some shared facilities (i.e., bathroom and kitchen), you can find places for USD100/month. That's what I'm about to pay, for a single room in Recoleta. Downside is that I have to do some painting, but eh... you can't get everything.

I'll try to see if you can find nice/cheap places through the Alliance Fran�aise, though, it sounds interesting.
amy1982

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing to keep in mind is that the cheaper places are much less likely to be advertised on the internet - which is annoying when you want to have it settled before you arrive. but it's good because it keeps the cost down by them not paying to advertise on the net.

you could make reservations at a hotel or hostel for a few days (or a week or however long) and search for a more permanent place to stay. my experience was that as long as it wasn't a holiday week, it was very easy to find a cheapish nice place to stay for a few days.when you're walking around the streets, you will come across huge windows FILLED w/ ads and pics for places to rent.

another thing you could try is looking at the local newspaper. clarin.com has a pretty good classified section. look under "clasificados" then "inmuebles". the prices are quoted in pesos. this is a good place to get a better idea of the range. you will notice that few of the listings have a website or photos - again, the ones that have these things are probably more expensive.

i hope that this helps, and if nothing else, that seeing all the cheaper listings helps put your mind at ease about finding a place.
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola,

I just found this website. It has very detailed newsletters about loads of things, including flats and such. Enjoy!
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is Marcela from Santa Fe in Argentina. Very Happy
I live north from Buenos Aires, but I know some about it, mainly because my sister lives there.
Let me advise you and tell you that if you want to spend less than what you saw (prices in dollars, etc), don�t rent an apt in Recoleta, Palermo, Norte, Belgrano, because they are very expensive (just an advice). And another thing, don�t rent apt in Gran Buenos Aires, a safety advice. As someone also posted here, prices on internet are higher than if you contact in person or through the phone. Someone said that La Plata is a very nice city, and it is true. May be you should try to contact someone living there. That�s a big city, the capital of the province of Buenos Aires.
If I am of any help, consult me at [email protected]
Regards Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: