Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelling/ teaching with a child of your own

View previous topic :: View next topic  
butterfly11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Travelling/ teaching with a child of your own Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone with a child (or anyone who knows of someone with a child) has tried living and teaching English in Spain. Is this totally crazy - can it be done? I'm a New Zealander and I also have a British passport/EU status and I have taught English overseas before. My daughter is 15 months old, and her dad would come along to look after her while I am working.
Any thoughts from anyone much appreciated.
Moore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend Spain if you have a child: there is only work here for nine months per year: most people here have enough trouble keeping themselves going here, let alone a child too. This really isn�t the place, a mate of mine has a couple of kids from a Spanish ex-wife, and even with her and her families help he struggles and this Christmas had to take a job as a night-watchman to make ends meet! Have you thought about Asia? - they love kids there, everyone looks out for them and they make a real fuss over western infants...it�s probably a lot safer over there than you�d imagine, and your wages will be much higher and you�ll be able to easily afford a child-minder (think Thailand, Indonesia).
I�m sure this is not what you really want to hear, but trust me, the money here is truly rubbish - I�ve been teaching for many years now and speak the language and still have bumpy moments financially here. Get a decent job in Asia, and in your (normally paid) holidays come here for a nice holiday instead.
jr1965

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly,

I'm going to agree with Moore and say that you should probably think twice before coming to Spain to teach EFL with a child. I'm not sure what your background is or what your plans are, but as someone living in Madrid with an eight-year-old (my husband is a citizen with a job who helps support us), I'm not sure how you could do it on the average EFL teacher's salary in Spain in many places. Things can be quite expensive. Think also, too, of the environment that you will be able to afford to raise your daughter in if you only make 900-1,000 Euros a month...
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: problem Reply with quote

You will not be able to support two adults and a child on what one person earns as an EFL teacher in Spain.

Do you have savings, capital or another source of income ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: