Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter in Moscow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoscowRookie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Winter in Moscow? Reply with quote

Thanks

Last edited by MoscowRookie on Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: a few tips Reply with quote

Greetings MoscowRookie:

Congratulations on landing your job! Cool

Probably the most important thing to bring with you when you come to Russia is a big suitcase packed full of patience. Life in Russia requires lots of it. Things don't always work the way they're supposed to (like hot & cold running water, electricity, central heating, etc) but I'm sure Moscow's infrastructure is better than Samara's, so don't panic. (yet)

As for Winter clothing: I can tell you that Moscow does get very cold. I spent New Year's Eve 2003 on Red Square at a temperature of -26C, (that's -15F) and that was the real temperature; none of that wind-chill nonsense we use back in the USA. During January and February, the low temp can reach -30C (about -22F).

The good news regarding Winter apparel is this: You can find EVERYTHING you need in Moscow, which has become a real shoppers' paradise over the past few years. Malls, department stores, small boutiques, outdoor flea-markets ...

My best (and the only really specific advice I can give you) comes from 2 years of personal experience here in Samara: When you do buy that Winter coat (in CA or in Moscow) try to find one that has an attached hood (zippered to the coat, not buttoned) as this will protect your head and neck from the wind and keep you toasty and warm.

I'm sure a few others will gladly kick in some advice and tips as well, so I will end this little rant now and wish you good luck with your plans and happy packing.

Come back anytime with more questions Exclamation

FromRussiaWithLove,
kEnt

PS: If you have a Swiss Army knife, bring it along. If you don't have one, buy one. It will come in handy regardless of the temperature. Wink
rogan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your baggage weight down - just buy whetever you need on the markets here.

You'll need good boots and gloves and a scarf as well as the overcoat.

As you're arriving with the 'newbie intake' ready for September also bring along your favourite roach powder. The little beasties get to like the local stuff. A good dose of a new product generally gets your flat roach free after a week or so.

Incidentally, which of these wonderful organisations are you going to work for?
MoscowRookie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Winter Reply with quote

Cheers

Last edited by MoscowRookie on Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
rogan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my reply in your personal mailbox

Have fun in Paradise
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: and a reply Reply with quote

Hello MoscowRookie:

You are correct. St. Petersburg is generally warmer than Moscow because of its proximity to the Baltic Sea.

When you arrive in Moscow in September, the temps will still be very warm, so you don't really need to lug all that Winter gear along with you. I would probably suggest buying your heavy coat and boots and other stuff when you get to Moscow. As Rogan mentioned, this will keep your baggage weight down.

As for the 'bare' minimum salary you mentioned (usually $500 per month) you can live ok on that, if this is your true NET salary and there are no deductions from that, and your apartment is paid for by the school.

That $500 at the moment converts into basically 15,000 Rubles. If you divide that 15,000 Rubles by 30 days in the month, you will have roughly 500 Rubles per day to spend.

I do VERY well on 500 Rubles per day here in Samara, and often spend only 300 or 400. Despite the popular myth, Moscow isn't really THAT much more expensive than smaller Russian cities in terms of food and basic commodities. The budget-busters in Moscow will be the expat bars and restaurants; the 'fast' nightlife, where your 500 Rubles will indeed disappear pretty quickly.

If you lead a reasonable life, and eat most of your meals at home or in more modest 'Bolshevik" eateries, you will do just fine. I'm the kind of guy who's perfectly happy with a hotdog and a bag of chips for lunch. Some people prefer candles on the table, caviar, French wine and a knock-out bilingual waitress.

Regardless of which category you fall into, it's probably still a good idea to bring along at least $1,500 in cash for emergencies, a return flight home if you bail out early, holiday travelling, etc...

Hope that helps Exclamation
kEnt
maruss

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Living in Moscow etc. Reply with quote

You've already had some good advice from the well-seasoned among us,so I'll just add a few points:
Do you know where you will be living and working in Moscow?If you can,avoid the south and southeastern districts as they are generally not only miserable and decrepid,but also polluted and very unhealthy-try to be in the north,north-west or even the south-west if you are not lucky enough to get somewhere in the centre.And don't agree to share a flat with another teacher,unless it's someone you know and are sure you can get along with-far better to find your own and negotiate an extra allowance.
And a last word of warning while on theis subject, it is not normally advisable to invite anyone to your place,or reveal exactly where you live to someone, UNLESS you know and trust them! Maybe it sounds obvious and rather stupid,but it's surprising how many foreigners have been caught out,especially by seemingly willing and beautiful girls-and then robbed(or worse!)
Rogan is right of course with his advice-EVERYTHING is available in Moscow-at a price,and always remember that behind all the glitter and flashy shops and restaurants in the centre,there are still MILLIONS of people living in poverty and hardship,just like in other 3rd world countries,which is what Russia unfortunately is!

M.
XXX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring a heavy parka, a good pair of boots ( waterproofed), at least four pairs of long underwear and a spirit of adventure. Remember Moscow ain't LA. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: