Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical ?uestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Hypothetical ?uestion Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to find work in the U.A.E. (preferably Dubai) with the following credentials?

- 2 years experience as an English language teacher (20 months of which was spent overseas in South Korea)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree with an honours in Political Science
- TESOL certification with 2 specializations (TOEFL & private tutoring)
- Solid references from past employers and University professors
- Caucasian with an Anglo last name
- Canadian citizenship
- 26 years of age
- And a genuine interest in Middle Eastern history and culture

In addition, with these qualifications, would I be able to save around $30,000 Canadian (or $22,750 American / $84,000 Dirham) for one year of employment.

I sincerely appreciate everybody�s help. Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endo

With your experience, you could probably get a job, but most likely not at a pay scale that would allow you to save that much money. The high paying jobs normally require an MA in TEFL or Linguistics. There are a very few places that pay well for a BA + CELTA (your certs are really not relevent to Middle East English teaching) but only if you also have extensive related experience. By this they mean with Arabic speakers and/or teaching academic English. (such as in US IEPs)

You are really rather young (lucky you!!) for the Gulf. The vast majority of English teachers here are in the 35-60 age group and married. Another item of note is that in the Emirates you are really living in an 'expat' culture, not a Middle East culture. Smile You can literally go for weeks and the only Arabic you will hear is from your students - and then you have to chastize them.

Sorry, but I think your saving goals do not yet match up with your education and experience.

VS
(perhaps your best option right now with this monetary goal is Saudi Arabia, somewhere like KFUPM perhaps. Saudi will be desperate for teaching staff this year, so it depends of what level of risk you can accept)
endo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for the reply veiledsentiments. You see, i'm not looking to work in the U.A.E. solely for the money (although that is partially the reason); instead I would like to use a Persian Gulf state as a launching pad to travel into Oman, Iran, the "Holy Land" and eastern Africa. Perhaps i'l try looking at a few other countries.

Not to sure about Saudi Arabia however, as safety in a primary concern.

Thanks again and all the best.

p.s. - i'm actually 24 (typo), so I guess i'll be like a fish out of water working in the Middle East. Perhaps my youth will be a bonus, or possible a deterrent. In addition, i'm not sure if I can give up women for an entire year!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endo,

Why not look for a job in Oman? There are some smaller private colleges which *may* consider your credentials sufficient. Mazoon and MCBS are both American based curriculum. Of course, Oman is not as oil rich, so the salaries are lower. Probably the max would be about US$1500 per month (plus you would get free housing and one ticket per year).

Your age will almost certainly count against you in Oman (and probably the rest of the Gulf). As a very conservative country, they do not want the 'intrusion' of the western single lifestyle. Smile And there will be a significant lack of available females (ie none?) - a problem all over the Gulf, BTW.

I'd recommend that you take this as a future goal. Get a few years of more related experience (IEP work would be good), perhaps get an MA. Then your goals may be more achievable.

VS
Sir Gawain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid your level of education is not enough here to save the requried amount of money per month that you wish for. I recommend going back to school for that M.A.

One might want to count the cost before comitting to another expensive degree. Do you want to continue teaching overseas? Shocked
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your expectations about saving are unrealistic. Even with higher qualifications and a good salary you would find it difficult now to save this kind of money.
holbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Korea for money Oman for travel. Reply with quote

I did five years in Korea and made bundles. Even with an MA in Tesol and 5 years experience at the college level you'd be luck to save that kind of money. And only if you lived off of spaghetti, canned tuna a swarmas. Dubai is expensive and teacher's base pay here, while high, is about all that you'll get. Extra money on the side is very difficult to find and usually at bad rates. Oman seems more realistic for you. You could save some money, live in an interesting place with pleanty to see and do. You don't need an MA to get a decent job there although a CELTA certificate would help a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: