Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan Work Visa - not a WHV - 6 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Que Sera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Japan Work Visa - not a WHV - 6 questions Reply with quote

Would any of you be so kind as to answer some of these questions?

1) Can I go to Japan as a tourist with the intention of finding a job, find a job, apply for a work visa AND not have to leave the country?

2) How long does the work visa application take?

3) Is it true that privates are legal in Japan if you have a work visa, UNLESS you sign a contract with a school agreeing not to work them?

4) Do you know of any Japan-focused job boards (sorry Dave)?

5) Do you know the URL of a Japanese government website that gives visa info in English?

6) Could anyone recommend a reputable school in Tokyo that offers sponsorship, block shifts and on-location teaching?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: answers Reply with quote

1. yes, it's not standard practice yet, but almost there. So, plan ahead.

2. 2-4 months

3. no. privates are never legal. However, people teach them all the time.

4. www.gaijinpot.com www.ohayosensei.com www.eltnews.com

5. http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/

6. Too many to list here. You'll just have to sort them out yourself. Are you looking for a language school, high school, elementary school, or what? "School" is just too general in this business.
lajzar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight correction:

Privates are legal. However, almost every contract offered will include a clause that specifies that you cannot take private work. So while privates are legal, you can often still be in violation of your contract if you do them.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lajzar wrote:
Slight correction:

Privates are legal. However, almost every contract offered will include a clause that specifies that you cannot take private work. So while privates are legal, you can often still be in violation of your contract if you do them.

Privates are only legal if you are charging and paying the appropriate taxes on them and registered appropriately as a business.

Very few people bother to go to the tiny trouble of setting themselves up to *be* legal, so, in fact, the privates that 99.9% of people do are illegal.

And good news, Osaka people: the tax office there has started prosecuting people for tax evasion for it.
Ben

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ho shit, just my luck, and I was heading off for Osaka too.... how much tax do you have to pay, and what exactly do you have to do to register?!
I'll see what the situation is like when I get there.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

How did you hear that news about Osaka, Cthulu?
And, just how do the authorities figure they'd even get teachers to admit to privates in the first place?
Ben

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I was thinking the same things myself... maybe people advertise private lessons, and then they are investigated or something?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: really? Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
How did you hear that news about Osaka, Cthulu?

Friend working there had the joy of being nailed for tax evasion last month. They're now at the point of 'negoiating' a payment.

Quote:

And, just how do the authorities figure they'd even get teachers to admit to privates in the first place?

Yeah, given the numbers and all it's probably still a safe bet. Except that if they actually *do* notice you then (as they did my friends case) they go through your finances with an extremely fine toothed comb - they followed her for a week before they actually *told* her they were investigating, so they *knew* she was working privates.

Easiest option IMO is to simply pay the 20% withholding tax like we're supposed to and tidy the numbers at the end of the year - all as per the book.
Ben

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha... they followed her? psychotic. So they staked your friend out over small time tax fruad? wow...
ProdigalSon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rarely, rarely happens. I suppose if you were to put up a flyer on a bulletin board of a govt. tax office,soliciting students, then maybe.
And if your schools tells you that privates violate your contract, just nod your head and say "I understand". Japan is "dont' ask, don't tell" to the extreme. If both parties are blind, then there is harmony.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthulhu,

That's a rather amazing story about your friend. Can you spare more details on just how they caught him/her? It seems like such a trivial point for such authorities to take into consideration when there are more serious matters for them to handle.
run-jp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Millions in lost taxes Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry too much about police chasing after most people.
I guess that this person who was followed was reporting very different
income #s to immigration and to the tax office. Normally these 2 offices dont communicate but this may be changing. Remember that the govt. loses lots of money thru not just privates but through schools that treat
T's as independant contracters so they withhold no taxes. but havent heard of anyone getting nailed for not reporting. with the 3 year visas now, this contract is more common than before...at least of few of these round Glenskis neighborhood...i swear by Fat P-pred"s belly Laughing ! by the way Glenski, you know anyone who worked in kushiro...been there, but for fun. thinking of it as a fall back when i return to J-land, wanna try kyushu for change. at least kushiro must be betterthan Kitami, desho !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: