Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S votes for Bush

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calsimsek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: U.S votes for Bush Reply with quote

I'm really Sad , I'm totally Confused and I!m so xxxxxx mad , Evil or Very Mad .
In sat up all tuesday night and watch as the results came in. At one point the long lines of young people waiting to vote gave me some hope, but like 4 years before the slow steady spread of cancer engulfed the screen as Bush took the lead. OH GOD WHY!!! I'm not from the states (Oz) but This man is leader of the free world. People tell me what am I missing here.
Is there any one who can explain what happened.I use to say I hated Bush not the states. However if a nation of people can vote this man in with an increased majority than, Shocked I'm sorry But I think I going to start hating THE U:$:A.
As of today, I fear for this world, God help all of us.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is frighteneing,isn't it? It is really hard to believe that over 50 million people voted for him. It's said that he won it due to the religeous loonies. And I thought the US was a secular state. The US can learn something from Turkey about seperating politics from Religeon Wink
dervish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see how the country was divided? The NE and the west coast, and states surrounding the great lakes. People are comparing the divide to India and Pakistan. If you've ever been to the US, those areas are where the smartest Americans live..............particularly the NE. I'm not just saying that because I live in NY. It is true! I've been to all 50. When I think of my travels around the US, in those states that were "red", I understand how it could happen. It's where people are just sooooooooo, well, ummmmm, how can I say, errrrrrrr, gee whiz..........DUMB! As bad as G.W. is, his cabinet it full of war criminals; Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft. Powell is the only somewhat human of them all. Power to the black man! I believe, according to the history of assassinated American presidents, it happens every 20 years. Reagan was the last. That would make G.W. next up for some chrome in his dome. One can only hope that W takes a bullet and Cheney has a massive coronary. It's sad when I have to wish such horror on my politicians. By the way, I thought both major party candidates sucked. The real problem with US politics.........a two party system. However, if Hillary runs in 2008, I have to vote for the sisterhood.
Kaliax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Un. %*@!ing. Believable. Reply with quote

I've been working for Kerry and the Democratic Party now for over a year in preparation for Tuesday. And all our hopes were dashed. No one saw a Bush victory in the cards. The sense of shock and dispair in Dem circles here is palpable.

You think you feel bad in NY? Dude, I live in Virginia. Red country. It's like the Bush supporters I meet - all the time - just live in a different universe. Ugh. I am genuinely ashamed to be an American right now.

Screw this. I'm leaving for a while. Who wants to help me emigrate to Turkey for a while? I have a college degree, I can speak some German and I like to teach!

Blair
Bogazicibaby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah- super big bummer
I voted, but I already knew that my vote wouldn't count. I'm from Kansas and Kansas is the center of CONSERVATISM. What is really interesting is that nobody I know supports Bush- but yet 60 some percent of the popular vote went to Bush. I wasn't supprised to see that the county with the highest Kerry votes is where one of the state universities is located. Even there though, less than 60 percent voted Kerry. SIGH SIGH SIGH

Kansas entered the union as a liberal state. Over the years it has become increasingly conservative. There is a book called "Whats the matter with Kansas" or something close to that. I started to read it when I was home and have to agree with most of what I read. At least Kansas wasn't busy deciding that same sex marriages are illegal although with people like Fred Phelps, I'm sure that issue will come up in the near future. They just ban study of evolution.
calsimsek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing my rage.
The poster from the states remaindes me of my Uni days back in Melb. After the third election of the Iron witch alot of bright Brits just had it. We had an influx into Auss of what was called the Thachter Refugees. I Guss the next thing we will see is whole armies of young bright things getting out. I'm still mad, but God help the poor ones there.
My heart goes out to you Kaliax. Thank you for all you did for the rest of the world. If I can just have faith that there are more of you, then perhapes I won't hate the U.$.A.
T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calsimsek:

please don't think all Americans support Bush. I know all Aussies don't support Howard and his pro-Bush and anti-environment policies (only US and Australia don't support Kyoto amongst industrialised nations-- at least America isn't alone!)

There are a lot of Americans that support more progressive, international-minded policies.

The problem is 9/11. Ever since the Twin towers got blown up(and that was indeeed a terrible tragedy), most Americans have had a knee-jerk reaction -- based on fear -- to support whatever the government is all about. The Bush administration has been good at spinning this into support for its policies.

Most Americans are not interested or educated enough to understand what's going on outside their own national borders. After 9/11, most Americans were out for blood, no matter whose it was. Most Americans also didn't get the gist of subtle Middle-Eastern politics to appreciate that there are differences between al-Queda and Saddam Hussein.

The US President didn't seem to get it, either.

Anyhoo, I forget what I'm trying to tell you, except:

1. 9/11 generated a lot of fear without understanding.
2. not all Americans think they are the only country in the world
3. A lot of Americans (like me) wish our current government had different policies, and feel somewhat embarrased when we talk to ther expats or nationalities about what our leaders are up to.

and finally:

4. Those same Americans will not apologize for America. We get resentful when people dis our country and homeland based on our current government's policy. I am a liberal, but I am always an American. A lot of people dis America for our government's policies, and, indeed, they have some legitimite gripes. But I object when people dis America in general. I admit, I may not be articulating all the great reasons to be America has right now, but we have a lot going on and I believe in America.

I like a lot of other countries, too.

OK: Go ahead and dis.

(I recognize I used the word "dis" a lot.)
calsimsek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blast from the past, I thought politics was off this thing. Hay dmb do you think I being set up or what. Its been about what 4-5 months since the election I forgat all bout it.

Anyway nice to hear from you T.Bone, welcome to the Turkey forum. I'm over my rage at Bush. I don't hate the U$A, I stopped thinking about it. Good luck to you and all who fight the good fight agaist the dark lord. Not into it anymore. Having enough problems keeping things on this forum, without gettting political.
Anyway hope to hear from you again.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is a set up. You should be ok.
justme

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I almost successfully convinced myself it wasn't really happening. Does anyone else think Condoleeza Rice has that Britney trailer trash look about her? Is she a budget-travel tourist or a diplomat?

Some good pics. We really are truly sorry.

www.sorryeverybody.com

And for all you poor souls who are still there, our dear and underrated neighbors to the north are offering their hands to help us...

www.marryanamerican.ca

(Though it appears on this site some desperate non-Canadians thought they'd still have a go at our passports...)
T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calmisek

I'm tired of politics, too. Sorry about the rant. I'm in America right now, and thinking about going abroad, but am hesitant to do so because all anyone wants to talk about is politics when they find out you're American.

I think most non-Americans hate our country's policies but won't hold that against us when getting to know us as individuals. Except for those Americans that have a big attitude about America being the end-all be-all, but most of those stay in America.

So I'll lay off the politics. How's Turkey?
calsimsek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what T.Bone, at the time of the war things here were not so great for any one from the west. I'm an Aust, I should be last to throw stones. My country went along with what ever Bush said. We all think Bush lied, we know John Howard did lie. So I understand how you feel. Embarassed
Things in Turkey are alot better. Most Turks still don't trust the U$ gov't, but they tend not to blame the individual.
After the bomes went off in November 2003, most Turks felt that the attack was unfair, after all they were against the war. Then they found out it was local radicals who carried out the attack. Since then there has been alot pressuer put on all the radical groups. I for one feel safe.+
Any way if you want to get out of Bush land, then Istanbul would be a good bet to take.
Good luck.
justme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entrailicus wrote:
Condescender Rice did seem to be at her most condoleezing on her recent visit to this part of the world

She was horrible!! She reminded me of someone from small-town Middle America (sorry! not meant as an insult to those of you from there-- I'm just lazy and borrowing an easy stereotype) who's maybe been to the outskirts of the Big City once or twice to shop at the outlet malls and to eat at one of them fancy French restaurants where they eat snails and the waiters don't even talk good English, and then won a luxury cruise to a foreign country from Publishers' Clearinghouse, only to go there and consider it her personal mission from Lord Jesus hisself to inform the poor, silly-talking barbarians about the innate superiority of America and its ways, all the while moaning about how you just can't find a decent burger in these parts and the toilets don't flush as good.

Sorry. Long sentence. I was really put-out watching her on TV, yet like a grisly car accident I just couldn't tear myself away. She uses her hands like one of those self-help pyramid sceme geeks peddling their BS on late-night infomercials. And don't these people go to, like, diplomat training camp where they tell you it's not the best idea to wear short skirts and cross your legs in front of the Islamist leader of an Muslim country? Not to mention she didn't say a single meaningful or concrete thing at any time.

Maybe she's the same in terms of evil, but can we really put this grinning lightweight sorority-chick Assistant Secretary of the Kappa Gamma whatever Social Committee on par with such predecessors as Henry Kissenger and Madeline Albright?

Yeah, I was put-out. And nary a yabancı nearby to rant to...

What scares me is that it can get worse... Crying or Very sad
calsimsek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay justme, I just checked out that site you recommended
www.sorryeverybody.com Crying or Very sad and Very Happy. thats how I felt. Thank you so much it really did open my eyes to see so many people from the States thinking about the rest of us. Perhapes there is hope.
Really quiet sad thou, looked for a smilar site out of Oz, found jack
all Embarassed , no wounder I don't miss the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: