Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More ?'s regarding interview timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmundycastle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: More ?'s regarding interview timing Reply with quote

Hi,

I've applied for HCT, Sharjah and a couple of other Universities in Dubai about three weeks ago. My question regards the normal length of wait for either an interview or a response from one of the Universities. I applied for positions in the next academic year, but am seeking employment elsewhere as an alternative. I have extensive qualifications and an MST and assume I am a good potential candidate for this reason. If anyone knows the common hiring/interviewing timeline and can share this info with me, it would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

jenny
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Few of them are very prompt. HCT is usually pretty good about telling you rather quickly if they are NOT interested. TESOLArabia is coming up soon, so they may be waiting until they see what shows up there.

VS
(What's an MST? Master of Science in Teaching? Most of them are looking for people with extensive academic English teaching especially writing)
jmundycastle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

for the response! An MST is indeed a Masters of Science in Teaching, though I also have extensve ESL training and experience, program development, etc. I guess I can just keep my fingers crossed!

jenny
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the finger-crossing time of year. Smile

Good Luck!!

VS
dogzB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Waiting for a reply Reply with quote

If you haven't heard anything it might be because all unis and colleges are gearing up for TESOLArabia as posted in a previous reply. You say you applied for HCT Sharjah and a couple of unis in Dubai. Did you apply to the HCT through the online application form? The HCT seems to have a centralised recruitment system where you apply and if you get through the process you go into a pool from where colleges choose their future teachers - so you don't know where you are going to when you apply. If you applied to Sharjah directly perhaps you should also complete the online application form for the HCT system. You don't mention the unis you applied to so it's difficult to advise. I also applied to HCT and unis in the UAE through their online systems - one of the problems I found was that once you press the submit button you don't know if your application has been sent or not; if it has arrived or not - if it looks good or not!! Better to send an e-mail or telephone for confirmation of arrival. As for your qualifications and experience, there are many people with very high qualifications and millenia of experience working as plain old teachers. The fact that you mention this makes me feel that you are looking for a career move or position of responsibility. Inform yourself before you make a move - Middle East EFL is quite different from the some other EFL markets from my experience. Wherever you go you will probably have to sign a 3-year contract with exit clauses which can be painful if you exit before completing the first contract (paying back housing advances/6 month notice period). When it's good in the ME, it's better than anywhere in the world - it's a great area to be in, no matter what you might read in the papers. But when it's bad, you can pay a heavy price professionally and perhaps even financially. If you are already in the ME, pay a visit to TESOLArabia or spend a week-end visiting the place where you want to work. If you are further afield, most of the serious institutions here also attend the major EFL recruitment events in N. America and Europe.
Good luck Very Happy
jmundycastle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for HCT, Zayed, UAEU and Sharjah. You're right, the problem I am facing is whether or not all my online apps went through, how they looked, etc! Thus my reason for concern...

I mentioned my credentials mainly because I have noticed a number of postings asking about BA's and no further experience in the UAE and wanted to specify that I should be a reasonable candidate - am interested also because what you said I have heard to be true - that the UAE, when good, is very, very good. That's the main draw for me.

I'm currently in the US finishing a teaching stint and cannot make TESOL Arabia (though clearly this is a major hiring spot)and am hoping the online app. process is sufficent to be considered a viable candidate.

Thanks for the suggestion that I send an email checking that my apps have arrived. I will attempt that route and see if anything further can be done!

Are you working there now? If so, where? And what do you think?

Many thanks for your input,

Jenny
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me step in again and say that sending an email is not a bad idea, but don't be disheartened if they don't reply to that either. Some of them like ZU, UAEU, and HCT get so many applications and emails that responses seem to be forgotten. (or something like that...) So it goes when the employers hold all the cards. Smile

You do have good credentials, so hopefully one of them will come through.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: