Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does 'right of abode' in the UK help work rights in Spain??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jwana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Does 'right of abode' in the UK help work rights in Spain?? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone - I am a qualified TESOL professional (Degree + Grad. Diploma in TESOL) with 15 years experience teaching adults in Australia & 1 year in China. But I would like to try working/living in Spain in the not too distant future.
Obviously, because I am an Australian national I don't have the right to work in the EU. However, I do have 'right of abode' in the UK coz my mum was born there. I've tried to get a British passport but was informed that I was born 11 months too early to qualify! Mad
I have read many of the postings here re non-EU citizens finding work in Spain - the good & the not so good stories. But does anyone out there know whether or not my 'right of abode' status in the UK would be of any help in legally finding work in Spain?
Thanks for any advice you can offer! Very Happy
Jwana
PS 'Right of abode' basically means that I can live & work in the UK as long as I wish to but I still have to travel on my Australian passport.
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get your national insurance / social security number here in Spain, you basically just go to the office with your EU passport and a photocopy of it, stand in line, have them stamp a few pieces of paper and then wait 20-40 days for the number to arrive in the mail. Because the only thing you need is that EU passport, I would logically guess that an Australian passport wouldn't get you very far. But I can't be certain.
Jwana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: work rights in spain Reply with quote

Hi -thanks for that information. I think you're probably right - I won't be able to get far with my Aussie passport + UK right of abode! Sad
Anyway, thanks once again.
Cheers
Jwana
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jwana,

What do you mean you were born 11 months too early? I was born in 1970 to two English parents, and I decided to use my father's nationality to apply for my British passport, but could have equally use my mother's. Or have they changed the rules? When I was applying, they literally weren't allowing any b*astards in! There was a question where I had to specify (and prove) that my parents were married when I was born!!! Rolling Eyes

Good luck,
Lozwich.
Jwana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Basically i'm tooo old!! Reply with quote

Hi Lozwich
The sad story is that anyone born to UK parents after 7 February 1961 can get a British passport - I was born in March 1960 to an English mother ...so all I can get is a 'right of abode in the UK' certificate which is stuck in my Aussie passport! Mad
This gives me unlimited work/living rights in the UK...but I think the EU is off-limits. Sad
I can't believe my bad luck - & the ridiculous UK legislation. I have registered a protest with the British embassy here but won't hold my breath for a favourable reply!
Thanks for your input though - & just be grateful for your brithday!!. Very Happy
Jwana
SandyM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Right of Abode Reply with quote

Jwana, I may well be able to help you. I'm an English teacher too, but I'm currently studying to be an Immigration Advisor (yes, I want to get out of this game too!). I can probably give you the right advice - no charge! - if you're willing to provide me with the relevant info. Let me know if you are, and we'll take it from there - I'll need to ask you quite a few questions to judge your eligibility.

Sandy
Jwana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks Sandy! Reply with quote

Hi Sandy
Thanks for your kind offer! I've actually sent you an email at your personal email address giving you some more details of my 'case'.
Any advice appreciated. Smile
Cheers
Jwana
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: