Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying citizenship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Buying citizenship Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of South American countries selling citizenship? Maybe for $5,000-$10,000. I might be interested in it in a few years. I am trying to invest some money and then move to South America permenantly.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it can be done, but you would have to know the right person. In Mexico, the blackmarket rate is $1000 usd to start the process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizenship often comes with the territory...after six months I was granted a 'temporary' status -

Why buy what you can be offered going throught the proper channels...such as working in the country for awhile...?
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really heard about this in other countries in the Americas... besides the US... i.e. buying a social security card which many undocumented people do for cheap.
If you are interested in gaining citizenship I think this could be done in a number of countries in a matter of years. The website www.escapeartisit.com has lots of info about getting a 2nd passport and international investment ideas. Check it out if you haven't already.

~NA
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulie wrote:
Quote:
Why buy what you can be offered going throught the proper channels...such as working in the country for awhile...?

I guess the point is why work when you have the money to live without working. When I finally get to South America I hope to be bring in $3,000 a month without working. So if I get to this point why would I work for $500 a month.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP...why not try the investor's route? In some countries, Costa Rica and Belize for example, gaining residency is easy if you bring in 10,000 usd or more and sink it into the local economy. Belize in particular as it's considered a tax haven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ecuador you can get permanent residency on an investors visa, just by depositing money in a "secure account." You are granted residency for as long as the money stays there. Last time I looked into it, it was only $1400 here.
If/when you decide to leave, you can withdraw the money, no problem, and even get a negligible amount of interest. Even with lawyers fees, should be doable for well under $2000, and you can get most of that back if you leave.

Justin

PS And it's completely legal!
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question here: Would $1400 invest in much in Ecuador? Anything bigger than an orange juice stand? Or is there a zero or two missing?
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound awful cheap for Ecuador.
I have researching this too (foreign investment for residency/citizenship), mostly regarding Argentina and Brazil. In Brazil you can a foreigner can get a temp. residency for investors and/or start the process for permanent residency stamp with a $60,000 investment and get full residency and later citizenship with $150,000. This �investment� is most commonly done with real estate as far as I can tell in Brazil.
I know the Panama and Costa Rica are also hot spots for foreign investment. And if I remember right, it is relatively easy to get dual citizenship in Panama.

~NA
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone thanks for the info. I am still working at getting the money invested that I want to earn to live in South America but I am thinking about teaching in Brazil starting nxt February to see if I might want to take up permanant residence in Brazil. After that I will have to teach in Korea or head back to the U.S. to finish getting the money together to invest and then live off it while living in South America.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
... teach in Korea...

Except for the cold winters, I can't recommend it highly enough for teachers wanting to get some cash together before settling down in Latin America.
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no. $1400 wouldn't be much of an investment here. Not even an orange juice stand. That's just the amount you have to deposit for the visa. After that, you are an official "investor" though. And can come and go, invest other money in starting a business, buying property, exploiting the locals, or whatever, or not.
Once you've deposited the money, though, you've got the visa. Any investments you actually make are up to you. I know several teachers, and a few more general loafers, who are on this type of visa at the moment.

Justin
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MixtecaMike,

Yeah I am trying to purchase two rental properties in the U.S. and have a management company look after them. Then I can move to South America and live nicely.

I might also consider buying a business in South America. Well time will tell. I just want to go to Brazil for a year to scout out other areas (i.e. where to live, investment opportunities). I have been to Brazil, Peru, and Bolivia but I want to check out some other countries. I hope to eventually visit every country in South America.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
MixtecaMike,

Yeah I am trying to purchase two rental properties in the U.S. and have a management company look after them. Then I can move to South America and live nicely.

I might also consider buying a business in South America. Well time will tell. I just want to go to Brazil for a year to scout out other areas (i.e. where to live, investment opportunities). I have been to Brazil, Peru, and Bolivia but I want to check out some other countries. I hope to eventually visit every country in South America.

Great thread! Definetely interesting.

I was really into 'emigrating' to Brazil after a six month stint there years ago. Teaching is hard to live on however. But real estate investments back home that pay for your existance in South America sound great though.

One thing about Brazil (unless its changed again). You can only stay 6 months on a tourist visa of any one year period.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer, I am going through IICA. It is a cultural exchange program and you are provided with a 1 year visa. You teach just like you would if you worked for a private language school. This orginization promotes English education or maybe they are just trying to make a buck. Well, I am applying to teach in Brazil and am excited to see how it works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: