Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haiti
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Haiti Reply with quote

I am surprised that we do not have at least one inquiry from some misguided individual who thinks his sole purpose in life is to go to Port-au-Prince and teach EFL. We have posts from people who want to go to Kinshasa . Why not Haiti ?
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Haiti Reply with quote

Scot, Have a look at the DRC thread in the Africa section. There's an interesting post from someone who spent some time there.
All the best.
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Love Potion Number Nine Reply with quote

As Scot implies...probably not much action on the TESOL scene in Haiti.However,there may be a few openings for voodoo priests and priestesses.Qualifications?Who needs QUALIFICATIONS??? Why, ANYONE can do that! Laughing
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: You Gotta Stop Those "Evil" Ways.... Reply with quote

What was the John Carpenter film about Haiti? Title slips my mind.Not up to his best,"Halloween"....

Scot,give them time.Some newbie will get around to asking if "Haiti is a good country to teach in?"

There is some guy now on the General Latin American Section who is hellbent on teaching in NICARAGUA...so Haiti is probably not far behind.... Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: haiti Reply with quote

For sure we will get something along the lines of
Is Haiti nice ? Will I like it there? Can you give me the websites of some rural schools there ?
M@tt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God you're both here to set us all straight on appropriate dreams. Did you actually need to start a thread to insult people in advance?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: haiti Reply with quote

Well since smart@sses like me are in such a small minority in the EFL world, yes. The average wannabe EFL teacher, it seems, needs basic warnings about places not to think about going to. Haiti is one such destination. As is Zaire.

What's wrong with insulting people anyway ? You think the world out there is full of touchy-feely types who really love everyone - especially Americans ?

The universe is hostile, kid.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: If you can't stand the Haiti... Reply with quote

It's true, some people are incredibly naive about the potential risks involved in foreign travel. It's the Haiti of nonsense!
Personally, I enjoy the cut and thrust on this forum, although I don't like the Haiti... sorry, hate mail that appears from time to time.
Wouldn't it be dull if everyone agreed about everything?
Shaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnix - I could be wrong (happens now and again Smile ), but the film I think you may be referring to is The Believers directed by John Schlesinger. Martin Sheen has the lead.
bnix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to Shaman...Give "em Hell,Scot! Reply with quote

Shaman,the film you are referring to, "The Believers", starring Martin Sheen,is about "santeria". An excellent film, by the way.The Carpenter film about Haiti is called(I believe),"The Serpent and the Rainbow".

Scot,give 'em hell, boy! If people like M?tt do not want to read specific threads, nobody is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to read'em. What the hell, Scot, maybe the rest of us would be better off if some of the "teachers" DID leave for Haiti, DRC, Zimbabwe,etc. Maybe it would clear a bit of the flotsam and jetsam out of this "profession". Laughing
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further investigation, it appears the name we were looking for was Wes Craven (Serpent and the Rainbow).

"Dont bury me... I'm not dead."

Perhaps there are opps to teach zombies? Smile

Shaman
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Yeah,Craven,not Carpenter Reply with quote

Shaman is right.Craven.not Carpenter was the director of the film in question.Zombies?Well,hell,you don't have to go to Haiti to teach zombies. Smile
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was me who lived in Haiti. Go to Port-au-prince if you want to see hell on earth, although parts of it aren't too terribly bad. The south coast is quite nice and there were some French tourists there and even French policemen in uniform. While I realize that this is just a scot-being-grumpy-and-spiteful-towards-Americans thread, there's no market for ESL there that isn't voluntary. For a child to go to school for a term it's 25 dollars and most can't even afford that. I met a few Haitian English teachers while I was there, though. They travel from school to school so usually the kids only get an English class once every week or two. Haitians (who aren't bandits) are wonderful people, though, and there are quite a few whites there but they're mostly Catholic aid workers and usually Canadian and/or French. Nearly all women, as well!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: spiteful scot47 Reply with quote

"spiteful towards Americans"? Moi ??????????

. I resent that and regard it as defamatory. i am spiteful to everyone in this wretched business, but especially to the naive newbies who think the world is wonderful.
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Spiteful? Reply with quote

No.I do not think Scot is spiteful.A bit irascible ,maybe,but different strokes for different folks.And maybe at least a little bit comes from living in Saudi.The newbies?They will always be with us.At least, it really looks that way.A lot of them are just young kids(no offense meant at all),who were told for years that a college degree would set them up in life.Then after they graduate,they find they have been dumped on the job market(not much of one in the US right now) with countless other grads who were told the same lies ,more or less.
So,what to do?Well,a lot of then are heading to TESOL. Are they naive?Yes,of course. A lot of them are.They are very young and have not had the experience older teachers have(again no offense meant). Yes, it irks me too ,sometimes when some of them are just off the boat(figuratively speaking) in some foreign country, but act like they are experts in the country on the basis of their few months or weeks in the country and maybe some funky anthro or soc course they took.But some of them arrive ready to give advice to teachers who may have been in the country for years,but who are at least wise enough not to pretend that they are "experts".

Of course,then there is always the less savory fringe element in TESOl...the hangers-on, the farters around,who are not really interested in teaching at all.

It is...an unregulated field...probably the major problem in this field in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: