Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My memoirs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4u2nv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: My memoirs. Reply with quote

Sir Cecil Doughty,
�Two Seas�
Retirement Home,
Bognor, UK

My Dear Friends,

Listening to you all takes me back to my own Tefl-ing days in the Gulf some decades ago.
Then we were in the forefront of the Anglophone cultural assault, delivering technology, progress and rationality along with the English language.
I see that things have changed though. Then we English teachers lived in luxurious villas and were appreciated as the cultural ambassadors that we were. Now, I hear that you are living in bed-sits and are treated like third world service staff.
Nowadays you drive over the causeway to Bahrain whenever you can, to drink beer and chase Philippino lady-boys. In my day, Bahrain was a five hour boat ride, or a long swim, so we stayed home, drank Siddhiki and chased the Arab house-boys.
Some people say I�m over the hill now. I�m past my prime of course, and losing my hair, but there was a time that I was a vigorous young man with a BA from one of the best educational institutions in all of India. I was surrounded by adoring little boys, their smiling faces beaming up at me, as my good friend Arthur C. will attest.
Today our Arab friends have their own day of reckoning upon them, they have to know which direction to take, backwards to repression and ignorance or forwards to the Anglosphere, democracy and international commerce.
You Tefflers are in the vanguard. Keep up the good work.

Sir Cecil.
zakiah25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Who flew out of the cuckoo's nest? Reply with quote

Now, Sir Cecil - I think it's time for you to get back into bed. The medication trolley is coming down the hall and it will be here soon.
Nurse Ratched
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Taken with a ( grain of ) salt Reply with quote

Dear Sir Cecil,
" Then we were in the forefront of the Anglophone cultural assault " . . .
". . we stayed home, drank Siddhiki and chased the Arab house-boys. "

I don't know about the " cultural assault " but it sounds as though you were definitely in the forefront ( or should that be " backend " ) of the sexual assault. Your memoirs should be interesting - perhaps they might even rival " Earthly Powers " by Anthony Burgess.
Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Shame on you Reply with quote

Dear Sir Cecil,
Forgot to mention - shame on you for that inferential reference to " Arthur C. ". Besides, he's in Sri Lanka, and has never resided here in the Kingdom.
Regards,
John
elainenatal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Alien Reply with quote

It sounds like "Doors" has mutated again!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: The wrong door Reply with quote

Dear elainenatal,
I kind of doubt " Sir Cecil " is a mutated " doors ". Maybe " doors " is capable of producing such an affected style, but I don't think he'd write about chasing Arab house boys, even in jest.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: