Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do you guys earn working for a school??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: How much do you guys earn working for a school?? Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering how much schools are paying these days. I only teach private lessons and haven't heard much about institute wages for a few months (around 12-14 pesos an hour was the last i heard). A friend wants to come over and prefers working for a school but wants to know whether it'll be possible to survive on their wages or if he'll have to work 300 hours a week to buy a pint of (UHT) milk?

Ta,

Matt
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Matt! Very Happy
I can tell you how much people earn in Santa Fe working in a public school. For example, working 12 hours a week you can get almost $400 depending on how long you have been working as a teacher. I work for the Town Hall, and I get twice that much, so I'm saying that we are paid much better.
The problem in private institutes of English (at least in my city), is that you most times are paid under the table, and you are not paying for a future retirement, nor have a health insurance. Most of the times, you are paid more than in schools, and I know that private institutes are better to work in, mainly because you have smaller groups of students, thus not so big problems of discipline, and you are able to try new techniques and methodologies in the classroom.
I hope I was of some help for you! Wink
Alex42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�m working with a few institutes in Mendoza and it tends to be just a little bit more than 10 pesos an hour. Which sucks. I clearly need to start advertising for private lessons.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Cordoba.... Reply with quote

I can only talk about Cordoba... it seems if you're lucky you can get 10 pesos per hour... if you're very lucky you might get more. However, the standard rate seems to be around 8 pesos Crying or Very sad

Cordoba has a large Facultad de Lenguas.... there is no shortage of teachers, Argentines rightly are worried of losing any work they might have - The market isn't great. Being a native will help you get work, but won't get you any more money (nor should it, in my opinion)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: