Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

womans clothing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mneus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: womans clothing Reply with quote

I have a doubt. I�ll most probaly be going to Dubai soon and I�ll be taking my girlfriend with me.I�ve heard that I have to be legally married for a woman to live in the Emirates.Is this true?It sounds rather absurd but somewhat understandable as I presume it is part of the Muslim religion.

Can anybody send some info on this matter because if it really is true, I can already wipe out the mere thought og going to Dubai.
Thanks guys
Marc Very Happy
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory and practiice are not always the same thing.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that the title of your thread of 'women's clothing' and your question is whether it is OK for you to shack up with your girlfriend in a Muslim country?

The simple answer is that according to UAE law, the punishment for living together while not married is flogging followed by deportation. The reality is that there are quite a few unmarried couples who are living together. They are almost invariably 'white' westerners and both of them have legal jobs in the UAE with residence visas and employer provided flats. The fact that they only live in one of the flats is normally ignored. They usually maintain a fiction of marriage with their non-Western neighbors.

So, the answer is that one can discreetly live together pretending to be married if one doesn't draw a lot of attention. Mixed race couples would be taking the greatest risk. If you are the type who alienates neighbors, they could turn you in.

Very few couples have been jailed and deported, but it has happened. In my opinion people who insist in living by non-Muslim lifestyles ought to stay in non-Muslim countries. Anyone who goes to live in another country should understand and respect the culture that they are entering. Since you have declared them 'absurd' it is probably best that you 'wipe out the mere thought.'

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, I also think your gfriend would get the worst end of the discrimination.
Japan, Korea or Taiwan would be a better choice.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
There is also the question of visas, residence permits and sponsorship. Some nationalities need visas to enter the Emirates. Some nationalities also need a visa to be obtained by someone with a residence permit. Visas are for one month - possibly extended to 2 months, I believe. You can't just arrive with girlfriend in tow and expect to be able to live together. Employers will bring you in usually - and possibly put you in a hotel for a week or so - if you arrive initially with a girlfriend, who knows how this would be viewed by your employer? Tickets etc are paid for accompanying family, but it all has to be legalised. You may be in housing which is just for your company, so you couldn't pretend anything - everyone would know. The housing allocated to a single male, might not be suitable for 2 people, etc., etc.
Lots of things you need to sort out, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: