Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Nizwa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa Reply with quote

Is anyone out there working for ELS in Nizwa? Seen a job posting, just putting out some feelers as to what it might be like.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do a search? This has been discussed here in the last few months. Hopefully a current teacher has a comment for you.

VS
nyai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: ESL nizwa Reply with quote

I have found out that there has been some teething problems at ELS Nizwa but before i accept the offer I would like to ask any teachers who have worked there and left or who are still there what exactly is going on. I seems 'good' but some things just don't add up. Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean. Considering the history of ELS in Oman, there is a bit of a flashing warning. It is a shame that no current teacher has shown up to give some updated info on how this year has gone.

VS
nyai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: els Reply with quote

I have a friend working in Muscat, spoke to her and she actually went to Nizwa, when she got there she met some teachers who had NOTHING good to say. I take 3rd hand info with a pinch of salt but it would be interesting if someone did post here who has worked there.
mci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Nizwa uni Reply with quote

I know several people who work there and aside from the 'teething' problems that are to be expected, things seem alright. From what I can gather, it's up to the individual's attitude whether or not the experience is interesting/productive or negative and horrible. I have also heard from those who have nothing good to say and they strike me as unhappy and childish in their demands and expectations. Living in Nizwa puts more pressure on job satisfaction, that is a given, but if you're open minded and understand that normal things like getting official paperwork done in Oman and other Gulf states is slow and tedious and you're the kind who can just get on with it ( the students seem to be good - mostly young women, motivated if not very well equipped for post secondary studies at this point) then I'd look into it.

You're right to take third hand info with a pinch of salt - including my own, so it seems like you know how to proceed.

mci
nyai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: on my way Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, reality is only perception after all!
I am on my way to Oman very soon, due to start work in Nizwa next week. I'll keep you all posted, there has been much interest in Nizwa and I hope to be objective when I arrive. I kow people who have lived and worked in Oman and they say it's a great place to be, that's a good start at least. Better take my sunglasses Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nyai,

Yes, and the suncreen too!! Temps will be pushing 40 any day now. Also pack lots of patience and your sense of humor. Expect management slowness and remember that in the Middle East, a smile and politeness goes much further than showing your impatience. Omanis in particular rarely get emotional (except when you fail them on an exam. Very Happy )

The ones who do best in the Middle East are those that can go with the flow and concentrate on the positive things... the phenomenal scenery... the usually lovely students.

Good Luck and do keep us informed.

VS
mci

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Nizwa uni Reply with quote

Nyai,

VS is right on the money about going with the flow etc. It is an essential survival technique in the Gulf and too many people don't seem to get it.

I wish you all the best in Nizwa - it will be getting hot soon but the humidity is usually a bit better than on the coast and in Muscat. The students here in Oman are generally fantastic to work with - they may not have many of the skills you might expect in university students but they make up for it with motivation and a positive demeanor.

Keep in touch,

mci
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds intersting good luck!
nyai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

OK everyone got the juice on this ELS Nizwa thing and it's a mixed bag. Since Oct 2004 around 16 teachers have either been fired or have left - read into that what you will. There is a new Programme Manager, seems the jury is still out on him. Put it this way, professional autonomy might not be in his or her vocabulary. What else, the hours are good - for the moment. Students good. Living accom, well, it's a bit like drawing lots.
On the whole staff works well together under what are sometimes difficult conditions. Teachers are enthusiastic and eager to deliver good quality education, however there is a witch-hunt operating at the moment which is why you�ll probably come across vacancies on various websites including this one. Can't be anymore specific, I can feel the lawyers circling!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verrrry interesting.... you will keep us informed, won't you?

VS (thanks for the update!!)
suzannesmith009

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: University of Nizwa Reply with quote

I am currently teaching at the University of University. There are some major problems with the administration of ELS (at Nizwa and at the head office in Muscat)- the company that has hired us (subcontracted) to teach English to the Omani students. The New Program Director started with great promises and we all believed him. Unfortunately, he has suceeded in alienating the good teachers and most of them have left or about to leave. His couth, professionalism and ethics leave a LOT to be desired and he RARELY supports the teachers!!!! We have just had a change in Academic Directors so that is causing major problems as well. In all honesty, I truly enjoy the students, so I try and leave the problems there at the University! The country is beautiful and the people are very friendly, so that helps a great deal!
The housing accomodations are pathetic and there is NO support for maintenance nor problems occuring in the flats! I really do not advise anyone to consider going to the University of Nizwa with the current problems that we are facing. Patience is running very thin! I might stay another year but that is it!!!!! There are better jobs out there!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear that things are not improving. Management issues seem to be a constant with ELS - or at least that has been true since the late 90's.

But it is always difficult to abandon the students... who deserve so much better.

Nyai? are you out there? How are you coping?

VS
nyai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

HI, yes I agree with Suzanne, things have taken a dive. It's very much cloak and daggers here these days with pseudo committees being set up with no other purpose other than to alienate those teachers who have not yet been fully alienated. The housing for the most part is poor, there are those who argue that it's what you make of it. The country is nice and you can afford to do nice things. Keeping away from the politics seems to be the order of the day but that is hard as one of the priorities of the new program manager is to draw everyone into underhand back biting power games. The order of the day seems to be trust no one and say nothing.
Having said all that, the students are nice, when not involved in mob mentality, which has been precipitated by bad management. Issues over overtime pay seem prevalent. Overtime pay was said to be one thing and it turns out it is half of it. Yep, it's pretty dismal and would suggest to everyone keep looking. For those of us who are still here, not long now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: