Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to use a Student Visa to get a Work Visa?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaFromOregon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to use a Student Visa to get a Work Visa? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm getting very nervous... I'll be getting my CELTA in Portland, Oregon in May. Then I'll be working for my employer through July; I've already given my notice, so there is no turning back. I've already sold my home as well. The Director of the school, International House, here in Portland, indicated that she thinks that it would be very possible for me to obtain a position with IH in Italy. However, the more and more I read up on the subject of Work Visas in Italy (you do have to apply for the work visa in your country of origin, correct?), it sounds like I could end up waiting for a Visa in the states with no job and no home! Any input here?

Here is the actual question:
I read in "Living Abroad in Italy" by John Moretti, "...some people choose to sign up for a bona fide course in Italy, and then apply for a student visa." "Many people manage to parlay the student permit into a work permit once the course is over." Is there anyone out there who has done this? I'm wondering if I could sign up with a school in Italy to learn Italian, obtain a Student Visa... and then?? I dunno, if I already have a student visa, is this author indicating that if I get a company to sponsor me for a Work Visa, I then wouldn't have to apply for the Work Visa in the USA?

Thanks for reading... and thanks even more if you reply!
jnesta1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanya,

I don't have an answer to yuor specific question, btu it does sound lke you are in for an adventure.

About a year ago, I almost made the leap to go to Italy to teach English. My plans were to take a CELTA class there and then find a job. I had some last minute financial changes, though, which prevented me from doing so. But I would have wanted to have several months cash reserve in case it took awhile to find a job.

I have read mixed reviews here about going to work without having teh visa details worked out in advance. I hope you find an answer that helps you. You may be able to use the search function here to narrow your search. You are surely brave for taking the steps you already did! I believe the Universe honors this bravery.

Be well,

JN
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya, I've not heard of people changing student visas to work visas. To obtain a work visa, you need to apply in your home country, with a contract from an Italian employer in your hand. This is the difficult bit - very few Italian employers are going to give you a contract when firstly, there are a ton of teachers they can employ who don't need the special treatment / hassle, and secondly, they will have to then wait for a while until the visa is processed before having you work for them. Italian companies only really take people on when there is a need - they don't "employ in advance" as it were.

What you can do, though, is to enrol on a course - say Italian studies - at a university and then teach up to 20 hours a week legally to cover your living costs. There have been threads about this before. This is legal and it means you can live and work. I don't know if it's only for a short period of time or whether you can extend it.

Alternatively, you need EU citizenship...
jnesta1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TIR....

I was hoping you'd see Tanya's query and post a response. Your posts in teh past have been insightful and seem well informed, so I thought you ight have a good answer for her.

Nice to see your response. Thanks.

JN
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comments JN!
jnesta1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, TIR. I hope you have a great weekend.

jn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: