Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How was your first month away?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anubistaima

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: How was your first month away? Reply with quote

How was your first month away?

I used to read this website several times a day when I was looking for my first ESL position. I remember many posts about people in the same position I was. I am now in Siberia, working with a large school, in a position I enjoy. I was wondering how many others found their first job in these last few months and their views after being in place for about a month. Anybody wants to share? I�ve read so many horrors stories and, since mine is not one of them, I was wondering if other people also have good things to report after being away for about a month.

You can post here or PM me.
Thanks.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I can divide my first month into two sections. The time before I secured employment and the time following this.

The first section was filled with uncertainty and concern. Financially, well, because I didn't have a job. Also, my visa was only good for two weeks and I just paid for two months of rent. Shocked

The second section, after securing employment, was stress-free and exciting. I was exploring Russia and having fun. I actually enjoyed adjusting to the difficulties of living in Moscow and could easily laugh-off these problems.

I think if I could have changed one thing about my time in Russia, I would have bought a $500 Lada. Wink

C. Smurf
bobs12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Return of the Smurf Reply with quote

Greetings C.S! Send us some S.F. sunshine, will you?

I roughly remember my first month over here- two weeks in Moscow being fed apple pie (too many apples at the dacha, apparently) while the student rep in St. P. tried to pretend that he knew where I was and that I was alive and well.

Then for two weeks in St. P. I started to have really weird sleep problems (sleep paralysis, terrifying, unknown, unseen evil hovering somewhere in the room until I could shout loud enough to break out of the paralysis), but that's a bit out of the first month.

In the space of three days I managed to get to know most of the female bar staff on Nevskii Prospect (and the telephonist in the Grand Hotel Europe) while I tried to figure out how to call my girlfriend in Moscow. Those were the days.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd have gone to Slovenia instead Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: