Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

females

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: females Reply with quote

hi ppl
i am new here, so could anyone tell me if it is actually possible to get a job in UAE if one is female?
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: females Reply with quote

worldwide wrote:
hi ppl
i am new here, so could anyone tell me if it is actually possible to get a job in UAE if one is female?

Sure why not...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worldwide,

I suggest that you read the boards as your first step. That will help to avoid people giving you a hard time for asking a question that they may find naive. Cool

You will find that there are quite a few women who post on the Middle East boards. There is Cleopatra (Saudi Arabi) and Sekhmet (Egypt) and hmbaba (UAE) and me - who has taught in Egypt, Oman, Kuwait and the Emirates.

There are lots of threads all over the Middle East sections about women working in the Middle East. You will likely find most of your questions answered a number of times.

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

........ and also spicegirl (UAE + Oman), your Gulf fashion adviser.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Worldwide,

I suggest that you read the boards as your first step. That will help to avoid people giving you a hard time for asking a question that they may find naive. Cool

VS

I wasn't actually giving her a hard time when I wrote it. Just answering at a level that equalled that of the question.

If the question were can women work in Saudi or can women teach men in the UAE a more detailed answer may be appropriate, but can women work in the UAE is a question at the very beginning of the research phase (or perhaps just a passing ponderance) Smile

On the flip side of that though...this board would be at a loss without you. How the heck can you be here so long and still willing to help people out at every corner? Most of the "expats" are so jaded. You definitely do us a service. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spicegirl, my apologies for forgetting you. Embarassed There are others who will likely never forgive my lousy memory.

Turtlepi1

Thanks for your kind words. Especially since I have retired, helping out people on various message boards like this is rather my 'hobby.' I could take up knitting like my mother, but I've never been the crafty type.

I do lose my patience on here now and again, and often some posters remind me ever so much of my more naive students. I try not to bring out the ruler and rap their fingers too often. Very Happy

VS
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:

On the flip side of that though...this board would be at a loss without you. How the heck can you be here so long and still willing to help people out at every corner? Most of the "expats" are so jaded. You definitely do us a service. Smile

VS is what Malcom Gladwell would call a "Connector". She knows a lot of people, and she uses information that she gleans from us --a tidbit here, a tidbit there-- to help others. She does perform a very valuable service. If you haven't read Gladwell's "The Tipping Point", I suggest that you do. Very interesting stuff from a very good writer.
uncle billy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Employment opportunities for females Reply with quote

As far as I know there are plenty of opportunities for females to be employed in the UAE. From what I understand you can make anywhere from $100-$300 US a night. Of course that depends upon your qualifications.
Kaspar Hauser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Billy is right. I've heard from reliable sources that many Chinese (Chinese Takeaway Wink ) and Russian women make hundreds of dollars a night working in various hotel bars in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you boys been? This isn't new information, nor even original. This job opportunity has been around for a few years, but most of us would just plain rather teach an English class.

Do you have any actual useful advice? Rolling Eyes

VS
Kaspar Hauser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Where have you boys been? This isn't new information, nor even original. This job opportunity has been around for a few years, but most of us would just plain rather teach an English class.

Do you have any actual useful advice? Rolling Eyes

VS

Don't know about Uncle Billy, but I've been around the block several times. There's plenty of useful advice elsewhere--can't we have any fun? Evil or Very Mad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooker discussions have been done to death on the main general board and the Korea board. I stopped reading them years ago out of boredom with the immaturity demonstrated. The 'fun' part completely escapes me - probably a reflection of my being female.

VS
Kaspar Hauser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The 'fun' part completely escapes me - probably a reflection of my being female.

killjoy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably will not be surprised that you are not the first man who called me that. Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: