Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In-country jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: In-country jobs Reply with quote

So for those of you who asked for an update, the HCT job is going great. A little hectic at times, but I am settling in. (I think) I'm posted in Abu Dhabi.

And now my question: Smile

My GF stayed behind in Korea (She is Canadian). We are getting married in August when she finishes her contract and then she will come over to live. I was hoping to get her into HCT, (matching vacations, etc) but she didn't make it through the pre-screening.

She has a BA (philosophy I think) a TEFL, 3 to 4 years ESL teaching experience (Canada - College level, Korea, Japan) and is currently working on a Masters in Applied Linguistics (though she just started it)

She will come in with me as her sponsor. Does anyone have any feedback on her chances of finding a job and where might be some decent places to look (in Abu Dhabi)?

This living apart thing rots...I want her to exit her contract early and come over now, but it seems foolish if she is not going to be able to find employment. (I figure worse case scenario she can find adjunct work when she arrives)

Thanks for any feedback.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Turtlepi,

Good to hear back and happy to hear that you are settling into Abu Dhabi. I found it a pleasant city to spend a few years and you are lucky to arrive in the nice weather. Cool

I seem to recall that we discussed this when you posted before. BTW, they don't use the term 'adjunct' much in the Middle East... perhaps the term 'local hire' would be the closest. This time of year there probably isn't much work to pick up, but she should have no problem finding something for September. Will you get summer leave this year? If so, she could come in the spring and could do some applications before you go home. Go to TESOL Arabia and hand out her CV. Check with the English teachers at your college and see what they recommend.

Don't worry. Her first job might not be the greatest, but every job is experience to make your CV look better.

VS
Janette Donovan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Settling in .. Reply with quote

Hey Turtlepi

Great to hear from you. So, you finally made it and are settling in - good for you! I was interested to hear veiledsentiments say that the term "adjunct" wasn't used much, as HCT still puts that on their site for vacancies.

I received a call last night to say that Al Ain has been looking with interest at my application and may be getting an interview, but with two teenage children I don't think that would be suitable. It looks pretty quiet and I would have a revolt on my hands - bad enough at the moment with me "dragging them across the other side of the world" (their words, not mine). However, I believe I should go for the interview and state my preference for one of the larger emirates should I be afforded this opportunity.

Have the HCT been supportive of you settling in? What's your accommodation like - would like to hear further from you.
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCT has lots of adjuncts and some of them eventually become permanent faculty.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually never heard anyone use the term, but if anyone imported it, it would be HCT (or AUS). Laughing I find it a weasel word myself. Something that sounds 'important' but actually means that the employer gets to screw you totally by offering no benefits or employment security.

Is HCT still running around a week before an academic year scavenging for the last couple teachers because they have turned down so many good teachers?? After all these years, you'd think they'd get it.

Janette, in comparison to the average Gulf employer, HCT is very helpful for new teachers. We have a poster here named hmbaba who lived in Al-Ain with a child about your kids' age I think. She was happy with the schools and the life there. (she doesn't come on here often, so you may have to wait) Al-Ain is small, but not totally boring. If your boys are into outdoor activities, like camping and hiking... soccer... they will enjoy it there for a contract. If their idea is hanging at the mall, this might be the wrong country. Smile

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janette - I think it would depend on how old your teens are. One of the problems for parents with teens is the schooling. The Al Ain English Speaking School (AAESS) is fine up to the age of about 16. For the 16 - 18 year-olds it then becomes a problem, as it's a fairly small school and the numbers of children for AS level and A levels drop off dramatically. AAESS is not able to offer a complete range of subjects at this level, due to the small class sizes, and so if your child is following a 'science' stream it's probably OK, but if it's History or French they're after (for example), you'd probably have to send them back to the USA, UK or wherever you've come from. Many parents do this, so the situation never gets much better.

Remember, though, that many American universities accept the British GCSEs as an entry requirement, so some American families choose to send their children off to university at the age of 17. British universities require A levels, so it's more of a problem if your children are following the British system of higher ed. Choueifat school also provides the International Baccalaureat, and I believe they don't have quite the same problems with the low number of over 16s in their classes.

Otherwise, Al Ain is a great place to be, with a really good social life, if you decide to take the opportunities. Sports activities are particularly popular with the teens (and adults, too). The swimming pools, tennis courts etc. at the hotel health clubs are good, and coaching is available. From what I hear, teachers at the Al Ain HCT branches seem to be happy, though of course, as everywhere else, no place is perfect. HCT accommodation is considered to be very good, compared to accommodation provided by other institutions in Al Ain.

Yes, Al Ain is a small city (around 450.000 population, I believe), but it's expanded incredibly over the last 10 years, and has become a very pleasant place to live. Living is easy, and the volume of traffic, though increasing at a fast rate, is still much less than in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, where it's almost impossible to get anywhere quickly in the early mornings or at school finishing time in the afternoon.

You should definitely do the interview if you're offered the chance. Getting to the interview stage with the HCT is an achievement in itself, and you may get the chance to express a preference. I do know, however, that each HCT college has a list of 'needs' for hiring teachers: for example college A may be looking for teachers with a strong background in teaching writing, while college B may need teachers for project and oral skills teaching as a priority. Your resume may just fit the profile of the post they want to fill in Al Ain.

Good luck - I hope you find something suitable, and that you get enough advice to take the right decision. It's not easy ......
Afra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people who prefer to be adjunct faculty, and if you have a sympathetic supervisor it can work very well. Especially for teachers with young children.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Afra,

Being an adjunct is fine if you are married to someone with a good job with all the benefits, but for single people whether they have children or not, they pretty much suck. In the US, 'adjunct' is something that was created purely to screw the teachers out of benefits - forget holiday pay, forget sick pay, forget health care, forget job security... just take this lousy hourly rate and we will give the worst teaching schedule and you better be careful or we will dump you tomorrow.

UAE employment law may very well require some benefit payment for part-timers.

VS
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are nuts here - are you sure you want to come?
tefllifer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Response to turtlepi
I think there is PT work at the HCT - your GF/wife could apply for that. Also heard that PI is now recruiting spouses rather than bringing people in from overseas. Other than that - private language schools exist in AD, BC of course, Institute of Nursing I think, Police College, local schools.

Response to Janette
If your kids are young teens - and not too trendy, AA might be Ok - after all, it'll be novel and new (just the idea of going to the Health Club after school may appeal) - so maybe that's a plus point - why not check with AAESS and see where they'd be placed in the school - what year group and find out about the exams and so on. So long as you have a car to go places at weekends, and cable TV, and internet at home and are prepared to spend money on neat bedroom stuff for them (HCT gives a good housing allowance), entertainment (like concert tickets in Dubai) or teen necessities - CDs, mags and stuff - you might be Ok in AA. It depends on the personalities of your kids - how flexible are they - what are their needs and interests - do they make friends easily? Sometimes you have to dig around for activities in AA, but they are there - and also the chance to try some things like horse-riding or ice-skating - and if they are sporty, they'd more or less be assured of a place on the team as there are so few kids around! People do move colleges, too.
Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: