Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Istanbul, first time teaching, need sound guidance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice Queen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Coming to Istanbul, first time teaching, need sound guidance Reply with quote

Hey, I've been reading these threads for a while, some of it is pretty hysterical. So, to make a long story short. I paid my deposit for the Via Lingua summer bus tour. After the last week of classes in Creete in early September, I'm pretty set on Istanbul. When I arrive, how long should I give myself to get the ball rolling on actually starting a job and seeing some money. Where do I find a roomate? Will being a junior in college who is pursuing senior year through distance learning seriously hinder obtaing a decently paid teaching gig. Most importantly, how much cash should I have on me (and/or the bank account) upon arrival?
I checked out mymerhaba.com, but there is no info on what the first week might look like. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

Ana
FGT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To legally teach in Turkey you need a university degree and a recognised TEFL certificate.

Please excuse the split infinitive - I like it!
ghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Costs Reply with quote

Quote:
Most importantly, how much cash should I have on me (and/or the bank account) upon arrival?

When ghost arrived in Turkey, in June 2003, he went on a job search in Antalya, and netted an offer, just 3 days after his arrival at one of the private schools on the west side of the city.

During the time that papers were being processed etc., ghost spent an average of about $22 U.S. a day for accommodation and food in Antalya. Not bad, considering Antalya is somewhat expensive compared with many other Turkish cities.

Ghost found plenty of cheap hotels and pensions to stay in which varied in cost between $8-$12 U.S. (equivalent) per night, but for the best deals, ghost always paid one week in advance, cash. For food, ghost would spend about 3 million per meal, for a total of about $7 dollars a day. Sometimes less.....but this was eating out three times a day.
In Antalya, ghost frequented the cheap Lokantalar in the backstreets
near "Dogugaraje" and near the "Amerika Kultur" school.

In short, you would be advised to have about $1000 per month to get by in your first month. If you are careful you can do this.

When you go for your lodging and meals, negotiate, plead poverty, and tell them you are in Turkey to learn the language and teach. You are not a tourist....that is important. You can get good deals. And if the first deal is not good....walk, until you find a better one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: