Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ball park idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TawtViet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Ball park idea Reply with quote

Can anyone give me at least a ball park figure of what I would spend on food per day in Thailand? I want to discipline myself and eat somewhat lightly, yet healthily. I'm in love with vegetables cooked or raw. I enjoy chicken, fish, and tofu. Rice (unless it's whole grain) is a digestive nightmare for me. Chocolate I gotta stop! I must beat the old sweet tooth into submission (please laugh). I am would be willing to prepare my own meals as much as possible. I am thinking about coming over for the PELT learn and earn program. I am not a small guy, 6' 2", about 225 lbs (a good reason to eat lightly!!!).
Thanks
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: food is cheap Reply with quote

Hello TawtViet:

The main factor in how much you spend will be whether you can learn to adjust to Thai food or not - or whether the temptation to hit the western restaurants at the malls will be too much for you to resist.

Rice is the main staple here, but you can easily substitute noodles for rice anytime, anywhere. If you stick to Thai food, you can eat VERY well on 200 or 300 Baht per day. If you mix it up a little and eat western once a day, 400 Baht per day ($10) should be plenty. By the way: a typical Thai meal in a typical 'mom & pop' eatery runs 30 to 50 Baht ...

excluding beer Twisted Evil which will add another 40 to 60 Baht to your bill.

One footnote: Almost nobody cooks for themselves here; not even the Thai women! There are so many small 'mom & pop' Street Cafes EVERYWHERE you turn, it's actually cheaper & more convenient to 'eat on the street', and that's what most people do. On top of that, you'll find a 7-11 and/or a Family Mart on practically every street corner in Bangkok, open 24/7, when you need that chocolate 'fix' or a new pair of socks.

cost-of-living [based on approximate prices in Bangkok as of 2005]

1 small soft drink: 8 Baht
1 small can ice-coffee: 12 Baht
1 1.25 liter bottle Coke: 26 Baht
1 kilogram of pork: 100 Baht
1 Kilogram of chicken: 80 Baht
1 kilogram of bananas: 15 Baht
1 small bag of freshly sliced pineapple: 10 Baht
1 kilogram of rice: 15 ~ 30 Baht (depending on type & grade)
1 lunch in a non-aircon Thai 'Mom & Pop' Street Cafe: 25 ~ 45 Baht
1 lunch in a nicer aircon restaurant (Shopping Malls): 100 ~ 150 Baht
1 lunch set at McDonald's: from 69 Baht (includes sandwich, fries & drink)
1 lunch buffet in a 4-star Hotel (example - J.W. Marriott): from 500 Baht
1 hot dog @ 7-11 with all the fixins': 15 Baht
1 small grilled sausage on a stick: 5 Baht
1 hot dog on a stick: 10 Baht
1 pack of L&M: 38 Baht
1 men's haircut: from 50 Baht
1 women's haircut: from 120 Baht
1 box of dry cat food: 49 ~ 57 Baht
1 Bangkok Post Newspaper (in English): 20 Baht
1 beer in a bar: 50 ~ 150 Baht (depending on where you go)
1 beer from the supermarket: 21 ~ 45 Baht (depending on brand)
1 hour in a typical internet cafe: 20 Baht (more at Malls & tourist areas)
1 new pair of trousers (good enough to wear for work): 450 ~ 750 Baht
1 new long-sleeved shirt: 450 ~ 750 Baht (on sale from 199 Baht)
1 single journey token on Bangkok's new Subway: 10 ~ 15 Baht
1 month Skytrain pass ---> includes 30 rides of any length: 540 Baht, or 18 Baht per ride
1 roundtrip air ticket from Bangkok to Phuket: from 2,500 Baht (depending on season & airline)
1 one-way bus ticket from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet (near the Cambodian border): 180 Baht
1 one-way bus ticket from Bangkok to Chiang Mai: 625 Baht
1 city bus ticket: 10 ~ 30 Baht (depending on distance travelled)
1 short taxi ride: 50 ~ 100 Baht (depending on distance travelled)
1 short motorbike ride: 10 ~ 40 Baht (depending on distance travelled)
1 ticket to a Movie Theater: 100 ~ 140 Baht (depending on seat location)
1 brand new & basic no-name PC: from 11,000 Baht
1 brand new no-name mobile phone: from 2,200 Baht
1 brand new Nokia mobile phone (model 3315): 3,000 Baht
1 brand new Nokia mobile phone (model 2300): 3,800 Baht
1 brand new (125cc or less) motorbike: 26,000 ~ 55,000 Baht (depending on brand & model)
1 month rent: small studios from 3,500 Baht (much more depending on # of rooms, amenities & location)
1 month electric ---> for a 1 room studio, running air all night (set at 25C economy): 1,200 Baht +/- 300
1 month home internet (ADSL): from 590 Baht ~ 2,500 Baht (depending on speed & package)
1 apartment security deposit: typically 1 and a half [or possibly] 2 month's rent
1 night in a 4 star hotel: from $US 110
1 night in a 3 star hotel: from 950 Baht
1 night in a cheap hotel: from 450 Baht

Today's $$$ exchange rates: http://www.krungsri.com/eng/50/511.asp (Bank of Ayudhya)

~ reposted from The Master Index Thailand, located at the top of this forum
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rice (unless it's whole grain) is a digestive nightmare for me.

Well, that eliminates about 85% of Thai food. As KFK mentions above you can eat noodles, but the vast majority of Thai dishes are normally eaten with steamed white rice. Then there's fried rice and sticky rice.

Quote:
I must beat the old sweet tooth into submission (please laugh).

A WIDE variety of fruit is available in Thailand year round.

Quote:
If you stick to Thai food, you can eat VERY well on 200 or 300 Baht per day.

Sure, you won't starve but I wouldn't say that you will eat "VERY well" on that amount. It's enough to get you through the day.

Quote:
a typical Thai meal in a typical 'mom & pop' eatery runs 30 to 50 Baht

That depends on your definiton of the word "meal". Generally you can get a plate of rice and some whatnot for that price - rice with duck, rice with pork, rice with chicken, etc, or a bowl of noodles with something.

Quote:
Almost nobody cooks for themselves here; not even the Thai women! There are so many small 'mom & pop' Street Cafes EVERYWHERE you turn, it's actually cheaper & more convenient to 'eat on the street',

Generally true. Cooking for yourself is not worth the hassle, but I wouldn't recommend eating on the street. Go to a place that at least has a roof on it. It's not much more expensive [if at all], but a lot less depressing.

Quote:
1 hot dog @ 7-11 with all the fixins': 15 Baht
The 'fixins' at 7-11's in Thailand are limited to ketchup, mustard, onion, lettuce and tomato. Laughing

Quote:
1 Bangkok Post Newspaper (in English): 20 Baht
There's another paper called The Nation which is slightly better. But neither of them is really worth buying.

Last edited by sigmoid on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Hello Sigmoid :) Reply with quote

You can read both of those newspapers online for free: Wink

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/ (The Nation)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/ (The Bangkok Post)

Agreed: I prefer a roof with my lunch too. Razz

Eating 'VERY well' on 300 Baht may have been a tad too strong. Let's change that to 'rather' well.

PS: You forgot the sliced cucumber! Twisted Evil Laughing Mr. Green
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can read both of those newspapers online for free:

Another good point.

Quote:
PS: You forgot the sliced cucumber!

Laughing Yeah, I did forget that! I really wish they had pickle relish. But I suppose that's asking for too much. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, back to the original question, yes 200 - 300 baht is what you'll spend on food on an average day. But it is so easy to spend that much on a single meal after a hard day. And of course going on a date is going to cost you so much more. And then there's the expense of beer.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: speaking of beer Reply with quote

Last night as I was chugging down my third cold Chang, it occurred to me
that on the weekends, I actually spend more on beer than I do on food.

Now that's scary. Shocked Mr. Green Laughing
TawtViet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: You're all great!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great information about food. It was better than I expected. You've given this not-exactly-rich-guy a lot of hope!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: