Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qs about teaching in Eastern Turkey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theresa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Qs about teaching in Eastern Turkey Reply with quote

Has anybody worked in schools/universities ( private or public) in Eastern Turkey? Any recommendations/warnings? How do I go about finding email addresses? What are the conditions like ( pay, contracts, students)? I have a degree, the TEFL cert, exp at all levels teaching everything from business to young kids. What about giving private classes? Ideally Id like to start in Sept this year. Thanks. Very Happy
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there definitely are schools in eastern Turkey, but I'm not familiar with any of them, unfortunately. Just curious as to why you want to go there, and, specifically which cities you're interested in. I would imagine that the pay is lower than the big three cities, but that the cost of living is lower, as well.
Theresa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! Thanks for your reply. I was there recently and found the place fascinating. I really liked Van and Diyarbakir and was really impressed by the hospitality that I received ( apart from attention from the tourist guys but that was actually minimal) . Im open to all options. Im currently in Paris and cant wait to leave. Three weeks and counting................... Where are you?
gelin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Istanbul for two years now, having been in Ankara for nearly eight. The east is fascinating, but I think the closed and stricter society there would get old very fast. I can always go there for my culture "fix" and then come back to a place where I'm more comfortable. Just my opinion.
Theresa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre probably right especially as practically speaking I cant actually find any addresses for schools!!!!!!! I have a list of Turkish unis that Im working my way through and am looking at Ankara because at least its more centrally placed for travelling a bit. Is it actually worth emailing them all or would phoning be better? Ill be in Turkey in less than 3 wks so maybe I should go round knocking on doors. What do you think? Oh whats a decent wage in Ankara these days? Thanks for your help and comments. Very Happy
gelin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely email ahead and tell them you can come for an interview as long as you are going. I want to remind you, however, that you will need to return to your home country to get a work visa if you accept a job. I'm not sure what the going rate is for universities -- depends on your experience and education level. Look for ones which give housing, insurance, relocation expenses, etc. Salaries can be so different from school to school, but you should get more than $1000 as a minimum.
Theresa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they actually answer emails?
Im sending a friend to do some ground work for me in the East. When I was in Van I was told of a job at a local private school but it was $200/month which would mean absolutely no money for travel etc. Im very determined though and this is rapidly becoming more of a challenge than just a simple job hunt..... Im now a girl on a mission!
Another Q: once I actually hunt down this elusive job whats the situation on giving private classes ( English and French )?
Thanks for reminding me about the work visa situation Very Happy
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Theresa I saw a job advertised today on Dave's job board at some place in Dyarbakir. It claims to pay between 1000 and 1500 dollars. i've never heard of the place but maybe it is worth investigating
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: A place in the East Reply with quote

Hi it's me
Teresa I think you will find a job out east without too much trouble the advertised on Dave's is a good place to start ,the good news is that there won't be too much competion ,not many people favour that part of the country . The bad news is that private lessons are a good way to meet people but there's no money in it when I first came here I couldn't make any cash from it I just got food instead ,at least I didn't go hungry . A better way would be start in the West first and get a little more local knowledge and build up some contacts in the east and after a year or two switch to a uni theres one in Cukrova for example that is allegged to have the best campus in Turkey ,some of the bigger ones have thousands of students mostly impovrished
Theresa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Its all a bıt depressıng really Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your ınput. Im out east at the moment and every tıme I fınd a school the locals keep tellıng me the same story : that ı wont get paıd and that teachers regularly do a runner. Perhaps I was reachıng for the moon when I thought that gıven my degree, Tefl cert and experıence I would have the rıght to payment for my servıces. Well you certaınly lıve and learn and perhaps that nanny job for the mafıa ın Moscow ıs an optıon after all!!!!!!!!!!! Or accept that Istanbul/ Ankara ıs the place to start. If anybody has any ıdeas whatsoever please please tell me. Mad
From a very glum Theresa
Theresa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: The fınal results of two weks of footwork Reply with quote

So there are jobs here after BUT they are not fınancıally vıable unless ıts your second ıncome : approx 600 USD ıf you are lucky wıthout accommodatıon . Here ın Dıyarbakır forget Academy although they do appear to be the hıghest payers. If you dont have to wıt months to get paıd that ıs ( whıch only be gossıp ). The owner has a serıous ego problem ( I had an ıntervıew ) and ıs even dıslıked by the locals whıch ıs not sayıng much. At Oxford Englısh they are really funny and dynamıc but thats 600 USD. Theres a lot of demand for prıvate classes as well but ıts ımpossıble to work round here wıthout a work permıt and even wıth one youll have to undergo a securıty check and maybe even be followed by the secret servıces just ın case you a PKK sympathıser or a mıssıonary. İm really not exagerrating. What else ? Of course forget stayıng here ıf youre a sıngle female : ıts just not worth the hassle unless you actually enjoy beıng leeched every 10 secs. Even ıf you make an effort and dress extremely modestly ıt wont really help as they have all watched too much TV and have a very fıxed ıdea about good gırls ( locals) and bad gırls ( Turkısh, European,Amerıcan anyone who ısnt from here ın fact). Theres also a lot of racısm /resentment as well. Lucky that İm just European not Amerıcan gıven the sıtuatıon ın Iraq. Ive even used the fact that my Mums from from N Ireland to get sympathy and 5 mıns peace...... To be honest İ really wouldnt bother comıng here unless you are a member of the PKK or a mıssıonary or just plaın masochıstıc. Please remınd me to gıve up beıng so stubborn and just listen to people next tıme!!!!! Very Happy
gelin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but not surprised. Don't give up on Turkey. Come back west!
Theresa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Gelin
Thanks for all the moral support and for working your way through all the Turkish i s ! ( This keyboard appears to have no logical system for punctuation ) In fact my time wasnt entirely wasted in Diyarbakir as I met someone who knew someone who works for Longman and has sent my email out to schools in Ankara. It really is a question of who you know. Ive already had one reply from a k12 Primary school in Ankara. Its not actually a scary prospect as Ive just spent the last 4 years working as a governess. The secrets out now and NO there was no uniform involved......... Very Happy
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: consider Izmir Reply with quote

Hi Teresa
Sorry to hear things didn't pan out for you in the East ,as I said on a previous post spending some time inm the west and making a few contacts make take longer but you will be better prepared for the less well off side of Turkey it is a major culture shock even for people who are from this country. Eastern Turkey is so differnt from the rest of the country .I see you are trying Ankara,ok,have you considered Izmir ?Ican give you a contact website if you want to try.
Theresa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: yes please Reply with quote

Dear Richard
Thank you for offer - Id gladly accept any help. The school in Ankara hasnt got back to me....... Im currently in Van which believe it or not is actually much easier than Diyarbakir. Perhaps because its cooler and also much friendlier as its smaller.
Best wishes
PS theres work here but no money as usual but then we all knew that. One things for sure the students here are really motivated and would be a dream to teach Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: