Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan versus Japan

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Taiwan versus Japan Reply with quote

Hi! I was wondering how Taiwan compares with Japan. I'd like to hear from those who have taught in both or just have good info. Would it be worth it to stay in Taiwan for only one year or would set up costs etc. make it a bad idea? You hear that you should come to Taiwan to look for jobs so I was wondering can you get the work visa there? In Japan if you come on a tourist visa you have to fly to another country to get it changed to a work visa.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of Canadians in Taiwan.

I didn't see so many Canadians in Japan, they're there though, I guess.

Big money in Tokyo. But cost of living is high.

People are nicer in Taiwan.

They Japs are really difficult to deal with compared to the Chinese/Taiw.
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are heaps of Canadians where I live, Nagoya. Good thing for me I like Candaians.

I have never been to Taiwan but here is some impressions on Japan.

If Japan has one objective advantage I would say it is the visa system. Once you get a working visa your visa is between you and the immigration department, by this I mean that your visa is not dependent on your employment at a particular school so you can change schools with no problems, you could even be unemployed and retain your visa (I do not suggest being unemployed for obvious reasons). Changing from working holiday to working, don't know about tourist but I guess it is the same, does not require you to leave the country. This a big advantage I think, just read all the posts from countries other than Japan that start `I want to leave my school but I can't because my visa is dependent on them...etc`. On the other hand your visa is not the only factor in an enjoyable experience.

Any cultural generalisation is bound to have exceptions. However, in my experience the Japanese don't ever cheat or try to rip you off because you are a foriegner but on the other hand there is never ever any flexability in any rule what so ever.

Travel is expensive in Japan. I spent 20% of monthly salery in one weekend trip to Tokyo. If you want to save here you really have to watch your spending. Of course it can be done. I am currently trying to save 40% of my salery every month and not falling to far short. Depends how much of a life you want.

Bottom line, either country will be completely different from your home country. Some things you will love, some things you will hate.

Good luck.
IamtheWalrus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that Japan is great for the single, white American guy when it comes to girls. I even got a response from one american over there that if i come, to "Pack a ton of condoms!" Wow...I didn't quite expect or require that...but..ok! Laughing

How is the social scene in Taiwan in this sense?

Also..I know this may sound odd...but is baseball at all popular in Taiwan? I know they have it there...but how are the games? Is it fun? I am a big baseball fan, so I know Japan does offer this in a huge way!
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Naughty Fred Reply with quote

Sunpower wrote:

And this passes through? As half a "Jap" I'd like to know what your beef is Fred.

If he was to use the "N' word his post would not fly. Why is it okay to slag Japanese?

Leave your jack boots at home, pal.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sunpower wrote:

And this passes through? As half a "Jap" I'd like to know what your beef is Fred.

If he was to use the "N' word his post would not fly. Why is it okay to slag Japanese?

Leave your jack boots at home, pal.

I believe Trinity has a good point, an apology is called for.
A.
Munchen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence! About 10 minutes ago, I just got through submitting a message on the Japan page under JAPS men/women.

Sunpower, if you're interested, please flip over to that post.
Thanks.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I LOVE Jap women.

Second, I LOVE eating JAP food.

I also plan on moving back to Japan to be with my Jap friends when I am finished my contract here.

Thks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: