Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an englishman in mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: ind. FM3 Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that you can't write your own facturas or recibos de honorarios as they are better known on an FM3. Getting that status has to be done through the IRS equivalent called hacienda, nothing to do with immigration. I may be wrong on this but I thought you needed your credential electoral (voting card) to get status with hacienda, and a votng card is definitely not available to a temporary resident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Guy? Wrong? Reply with quote

It is very easy--tax department wise--to set yourself up as an independent service provider with recibos de honorarios here in Mexico. You just need to go by the SAT offices then do a normal (for Mexico) amount of paperwork then have your recibos printed up by a authorized printer. I did this for some free lance work I do and it was really really easy. However, I've never told immigration that I do free lance work (I don't have any contracts for it) so I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be to get a visa based on this. I think you'd need to prove that you'd make enough to support yourself or that you have back up money in an emergancy or something.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: in Oaxaca Reply with quote

Melee, you're on an FM2, aren't you? Like the chicken and the egg, which came first, your FM2 or SAT recibos? I'm thinking in may be eaiser in Oaxaca. I got the runaround in DF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry, not having owned my own business in Mexico, I'm only going on second hand information. I don't know if my friend is able to vote, but I do know that since she owns and operates her own school she has her own facturas for her business. To get them, you have to have a legally registered business with the hacienda. I don't know anything about the voting part. Anyway, if I've goofed here, I apologize. Perhaps someone out there who has there own private FM3 could clarify.
cheers
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: My experience Reply with quote

When I first began working here at a language school, I was paid honorarios and had to do the same thing MELEE did: open a file with hacienda, get my own booklet of recibos printed up, fill out a recibo each time I got paid and have it signed by the school director, pay income taxes quarterly, the whole nine yards. It wasn't difficult to do per se, just typical Mexican bureaucracy, meaning a long, drawn-out process. When I left the language school and began working at the university, I was given the option of honorarios or n�mina. I chose n�mina simply to avoid all the hassles. With n�mina the university withholds money from my pay check and takes care of all the hacienda paperwork.

As a foreigner one can get a credencial for identification purposes only. It looks just like the voter registration card but states on it that it doesn't give one the right to vote. However, it wasn't necessary to have one of those to open a tax file with hacienda. A CURP number would probably be required now, however. I had to get one of those not too long ago. Actually, the university got it for me. The CURP is a long, complicted identification number that everyone who works and pays taxes needs, and it's a relatively new part of the system.

This info is from my own experiences. I'd never claim to understand how things function with Mexican immigration or government.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: A whole other issue Reply with quote

Quote:
but I do know that since she owns and operates her own school she has her own facturas for her business. To get them, you have to have a legally registered business with the hacienda

Now it gets intriguing. From what I know on this, you need 4 Mexican business partners to resiter a business with hacienda (darse de alta, it's called) Either that friend has an FM2, and is a persona fisica they call it, or the recibos aren't actually in her name. I had a meeting with our accountant on just this issue not two days ago.
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually,

I'm on my second FM3. For various reasons I decided not to go the FM2 route.

To get my self registered at the tax office, I just had to take a certified copy of my FM3 and passport and fill in a form. I know the people in the local tax office so I'm guessing that they overlooked the fact that my FM3 states that I can only work exclusively for my university.

I work with someone who used to be a translator for Notimex. He worked for honorarios and registered himself the same way I did, but in Mexico City, however his FM3 had broader activities than my does as he was working three places.

Cheers
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: A whole other issue Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:
but I do know that since she owns and operates her own school she has her own facturas for her business. To get them, you have to have a legally registered business with the hacienda

Now it gets intriguing. From what I know on this, you need 4 Mexican business partners to resiter a business with hacienda (darse de alta, it's called) Either that friend has an FM2, and is a persona fisica they call it, or the recibos aren't actually in her name. I had a meeting with our accountant on just this issue not two days ago.

Now you've really got me. This has gone way beyond the realm of the known and into the realm of 'quien sabe?' I don't know all the answers as to how my friend registered and is able to run her school, but I do know she's there doing it. I also know that laws are subject to the "interpretation" of local authorities. So what may be true for DF, may not be so true elsewhere.

This thread was talking about getting a private FM3 as opposed to being sponsored by a school or institute. As far as that goes, I think those questions have been answered by other posters more up to date on these things than I. I'm sorry if my ignorance has upset you. That was not my intention.

Saludos y habria buen caminos

Suerte
MELEE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A whole other issue Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Now you've really got me. This has gone way beyond the realm of the known and into the realm of 'quien sabe?' I don't know all the answers as to how my friend registered and is able to run her school, but I do know she's there doing it. I also know that laws are subject to the "interpretation" of local authorities. So what may be true for DF, may not be so true elsewhere.

This is what is great (or frustrating depending on your disposition) about Mexico and all of Latin America. Actually, all of the non "Western" world. The ablity to sustain multiple truths. For those who are reading this and not here yet, your ablity to accept this will affect your enjoyment of the region.

Hasta pronto
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you doing in Mexico? It sounds to me like one big hassle.

If you want a country with similar weather, beautiful landscape and wackier people with an equal ability to interpret the truth in manifold ways, but
WITH NONE OF THE BUREAUCRATIC HASSLES YOU DESCRIBE ABOVE...
try Cambodia. It is an almost pure market economy. No taxes, no form-filling, no regulations, no by-laws, no bs. It will blow you away. Very Happy
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to believe in taxes and regulations Surprised

Besides, I can dance a mean cumbia, and I don't think I'd get to show that off much in Cambodia. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: