Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualifications For Teaching English In Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Preston866

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Qualifications For Teaching English In Costa Rica Reply with quote

Hello! I am new to the idea of TEFL and am trying to decide if it's right for me. My main question is will I be able to get a job teaching english with a tefl certficate alone? I do not have a college degree. Thanks for your help! Very Happy
Cheza

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it, and I`m being promoted to the new acedemic director at my school, And I`ve never gone to College. However I did have a lot of travel, volunteer, and a little teaching experience, plus I`m bi-lingual; almost multi-lingual. Being bi-lingual helped me a lot in getting my job, not just finding my way around the city, but because the official language of the school is Spanish. Plus I`m living in rural Costa Rica where there is a shortage of native speakers to teach English.

But if you really hit the pavment you should be able to find a job pretty easily.
Preston866

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! So you can get me a job! Smile Just Kidding. Thank you so much for your quick response. Do you like teaching in Costa Rica? What is the weather like in the winter? And how are the people, friendly? Thanks!
ls650

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Qualifications For Teaching English In Costa Rica Reply with quote

Preston866 wrote:
will I be able to get a job teaching english with a tefl certficate alone? I do not have a college degree.

I once heard someone say that when it comes to TEFL, "there's a seat for every arse." There are plenty of teaching jobs out there, but without a degree or experience, you should expect to be stuck down on the bottom rung of the ladder.
Cheza

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teaching here, the people are friendly, the beaches are awesome, the culture is very laid-back, and the women are georgous (I know I spelled that wrong).
I work for 12 hours per week, plus a few hours of private lessons, and I make enough money to get by. So I have plenty of free time to slack off.
The winters here kinda suck. The rainy season never seems to end, and it will sometimes rain for weeks non-stop. But you get used to it.
Preston866

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheza, do you have a degree?
Cheza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have no degree, but I have a lot of applicable experience. I did an intern for an �Experiental Adventure Education� program, I have my TEFL, I�m bilingual, I have a lot of over-seas experience, and some volunteer experience teaching ESL at a community college. With those credentials I was given a job with out barely having an interview. The demand for qualified native-speakers in this area is very high, but the pay, and working conditions aren�t as good as they could be. But like I said before: I`m happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: