Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when is the best time to look for a job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynnknows

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: when is the best time to look for a job Reply with quote

hello all,

first let me say before i begin please excuse my spelling. i tend to think faster than i can type and i seem to always hit the wrong key.... lol......
anyway, I am looking to move overseas. I am a widowed woman with 3 children. i have a degree in education I can teach up to grade 5. i do not have a celta but i am going to take classes for it this summer.

My question is how hard it is to find a job for a single woman with children?
when is the best time of yr to look for a job?
what web site are best to find a job?
what schools are the best with a person with no esl experience. i have only taught grade school and preschool oh, and i was a child care director for a few yr. i taught english in a muslim school for grades 4 and 5 and social studies in grade 9, but they closed down.
also do you think it will be harder for an african american to find work?
i will also take any other information that anyone has.

thanks in advance
lynn Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn,

I gave a long answer on the Egypt board, and most of it is also true here. The pay is higher in the Gulf. Your best chance is to try to find a decent job that relates to your experience and education rather than a career change into ESL.

VS
dogzB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: work in the ME Reply with quote

Good advice not to move into EFL - to earn any real money here you should start at least with the DELTA and a couple of years' experience. You say you are a qualified teacher with experience so apply to one of the many English speaking schools in the UAE. Have a look at:

www.tesjobs.co.uk and click on the "browse all jobs"link.
Go to "other" and there should be a link to overseas appointments.

Last week some schools in Dubai were advertising, one in Abu Dhabi and one in Ras Al Khaima. Also in Al Ain, I think. The site is updated every Friday and now is the time to apply for September or you may miss out.

Also, try a google search for "English speaking schools" Dubai - there really are a lot of schools there.

If the information for the site above is wrong, use the site map to find the overseas section.

Good Luck Cool [/quote]
seanmca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn,

If you wish to move overseas, there is no reason you cannot work at an international school. While money in the gulf is great for ESL teachers, most international schools in Europe, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the Gulf pay extremely well too.

Budapest, for example, starts at 35,000 tax free, a 2500 moving allowance, 800$ for rent (you can rent a mansion in Budapest for 800 a month). You kids of course, will be able to attend the school for free.

International schools in South America are also great, but the pay is not as high.
If you a certified k-12 and have experience, you should contact
Search Associates *link below* ASAP. They have a recruiting fair in June.

If you have experience, and don't mind waiting a year, you should not settle for a second tier school right now. Most of the top schools have already hired their teachers, and although you might get lucky and find a good job in June, most of the jobs in June are with 2nd or 3rd tier schools in South American or Africa.
In my opinion, it would be better for you to wait a year, then get a job at one of the top schools in Europe, Asia, or the Gulf.

here are some links to placement agencies...
http://www.search-associates.com/ Top dog of all the companies for American schools...you have to have experience and meet their standards to be invited to their recruiting fairs.
http://www.iss.edu/ not as good as it used to be, so I hear
http://www.ecis.org/ Top agency for European and British schools
http://www.tieonline.com/ list of jobs....great site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: