Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to be a teacher!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
0ceania

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Want to be a teacher! Reply with quote

I've just graduated with a BA History/Politics minor in Management degree and have also moved to Muscat due to my husband's work. I come from a family of teachers and am interested in teaching here maybe English or history. My question is what are my chances since I don't have a diploma in teaching nor B.Ed? I am confident in my ability and would love to teach but can I? Please help me out here if its a lost cause, if not then pls recommend some places where I can look into for a teaching job.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oceania,

If you just got your BA, that would suggest that you are very young. (just guessing here) I suspect that even your teacher family members might interpret your statement of being 'confident in your ability' to be a teacher as a case of a bit of 'over-confidence.' Very Happy English is not as straightforward to teach as history.

My question would be, should someone with no education in the field of English as a Second or Foreign Language and no training in how to teach it and no experience in front of a language classroom, be the teacher. IMHO, no. If I were the student, I would be quite angry about it actually.

If you are serious about wanting to teach EFL, I would suggest giving the British Council a call and ask about the CELTA program. It is not cheap, but it will teach you how to teach. Once you have this cert in hand, you would be better prepared to teach English wherever in the world that your husband goes. This cert is widely recognized all around the world. Depending on the program, it takes a month or two or three. The BC is located on the main road at Madinet Qaboos.

As to teaching history, you could give some of the English language based private schools a call. I fear that most schools would require an education degree. And a second fear is that those that do not may not be the best people to work for. Good schools tend to require teachers with appropriate degrees.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: