Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which to choose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackdaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Which to choose Reply with quote

Which job is the best of the following and why for a married man without kids wishing to save money? Confused

HCT
ADNOC
UGRU UAEU

cheers for any input

[/b]
lionbrian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: KOREA IS YOUR WAY TO GO! Reply with quote

Korea buddy!

Trust me on this one! My friend and his wife (no kids) are saving around Ame $ 6500/month, and they have just bought a huge house in Vancouver. Also, bear in mind that they have been in Korea only for 4 years.

UAEU, HCT & ADNOC are good for teachers with families.

Good luck!
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Which to choose Reply with quote

jackdaw wrote:

HCT
ADNOC
UGRU UAEU

They're all worthy of consideration, but I'd say go with UAEU. You'll get the best combination of money and freedom from foolishness.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is best at ADNOC but they do have the reputation of choosing the candidates they want after they've hired them. People being fired are quite common there, whilst in most other places in the Mid-East it is rare for staff to be terminated before the end of the contract.

The problem with HCT appears to be that you have no control over where you are posted, and the management at one or two places (Sharjah in particular has had a bad press on these forums) appears to be less than ideal.

So I tend to second the advice about UGRU UAEU.

All these opinions are second hand though, so ignore them if you get better first hand information.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above, but I'd say that you should apply to all three in hopes that one of them offers you a job. (and apply to others too) If you get a number of offers, then ask about choosing which one. Smile

VS
dogzB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: saving money Reply with quote

From what I know UGRU and HCT offer similar conditions. The problem in the UAE is it's a great life style and saving money requires a lot of self-control. If your wife works and you can organise two monthly incomes you should do well. On one income it's difficult to save lots, from my experience. Money is in Saudi at the moment - lots of it (probably double what the UAE offers - so good if your wife doesn't work), cheaper and less to spend on although the cities in KSA are well furnished with western shops. Security is obviously a big problem and the UAE has a better reputation for safety although you never know what might happen!!!

If you have a medium to long term plan (6-10 years) you can probably do well by the end of it. Just doing a 3 year basic stint you might not get rich quick, particularly with current exchange rates.

Good luck Razz
jackdaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: which to choose Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. We certainly are not looking for a short stay...10 years plus (if all goes well) and initially my wife wouldnt work were we lucky enough to have kids.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear through the infamous Gulf grapevine that HCT still needs quite a few new teachers for next year. So, anyone who has good credentials and experience might want to send them off an application. Those of you going to TESOL in Texas in a week or so, could try to get an interview.

VS
jackdaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: which to chose Reply with quote

have been made tentative offers from HCT, ADNOC and UAEU plus a couple outside the UAE but in the ME. Any opinions on which of these might be the best and why would be appreciated. I have my own ideas at present at which one I favour but would like to get as much feedback as possible.

Last edited by jackdaw on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tentative offers? I would think that they either made an offer or they didn't. All three of those are pretty equal in my opinion, not to mention that the one that would be best for any of us has little to do with whether it is the best for you.

I don't know how it is that you want someone to answer this since we know absolutely nothing of your priorities or lifestyle or interests. Why don't you tell us your thoughts of which one and why... and then perhaps someone can tell you whether your expectations are realistic or not.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: